47- the boy who gave eveything

Masaru did not enjoy watching his sons fight, it was a sight no parent ever wanted to acknowledge. He knew they had their differences, shining through since a young age- where Katsuki might've kicked a worm off his path during a monsoon, M/n would carry it through howling winds to find a safe patch of grass, holding it to his chest like it were his own beating heart.

They both sported wiry nerves and rambunctious attitudes when it came to the things they cared about. Katsuki with his goal to be number 1, and M/n wanting to succour anyone he could, even if that meant leaving his own wishes on the shelf.

For as long as he dared to remember, M/n's father had watched the eldest tuck and fold away his dreams like laundry, pushing up from his knees to be alert for any cry for help.

It didn't matter how badly he got hurt, with irreversible burns and frayed bones- if he could give someone just that little piece of strength to keep going, then that was something at least. But it was never enough. He needed to give so much more- his energy, his hope, his life, as if that's what he was made to do. 

Serve, and never be rewarded. Succeed, and be berated. Live, breathe, try, and never, ever be good enough. Hope was a fickle thing, cursing those who held onto it. 

Masaru knew M/n's heart had been pickling in Mitsuki's absent care since the beginning. Her harsh words of disappointment, the rolling of her eyes, the dismissal of grades and pictures never stuck to the fridge. 

And this tiresome tension between the brothers seemed to be melting point. When M/n had pushed away from him, tossed away his enveloping arms, he knew that the trust he had with his family had finally shed.

Two hearts broke that night.

"What?" Mitsuki grit out upon seeing her husband's upset face, the slamming of two doors making them flinch.

"Nothing, dear." He sighed, making his ascent up the stairs, limbs creaking as he wasn't as young as he used to be. "I just hope, when we're gone... our graves are watched over, that they will sit and tell us about their day." 

Mitsuki swallowed as she watched his jaw tremble, tears passing through his stubble like the spill of precious paints upon a weary canvas. "Perhaps only in death they will find their peace with us. Goodnight, honey."

With that she was left downstairs, the rest of her family secluded to their dark cradles. Casting her eyes to the floor, she clenched at the hem of her cardigan, her chest so cold now there was no-one to hold to it. 

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

At nighttime the Bakugou household was asleep, snores ricocheting off the walls. Except one, who was lying in bed when his phone chimed and lit up the room. Throwing a hand over to the bedside table, he tapped open the screen. An anonymous message. It read:

Go to hospital. Ingenium injured. Keep promise. Do it.

Without so much as a thought it could be a trap, M/n rushed around with a glowing hand in the dark, shoving on his socks and trainers before opening the window beside his bed. The cold air sifted inside, rattling soft objects upon his desk with a dull wind.

Manouvering slowly, he shifted the lower half of his body outside, dangling while gripping the edge. With a huff he fell and landed on the ground, fist leaving a crater in his mother's flower bed.

He ran down the street and didn't stop. Not even looking back when the light in Katsuki's room switched on, illuminating his twin's confused and sleepy face behind the glass.

く⁠コ⁠:⁠彡

Perched on the edge of the tall building, neon lights cast vibrant glows all along the hero's body and slicked his wings like oil as he watched a small, panting figure race to the entrance.