CHAPTER 3

Davey had kept to his word and we had planned to go on our first date today

Davey had kept to his word and we had planned to go on our first date today. I'd spent the whole week freaking out about it. I knew if I'd spoken to Spencer that he'd help alleviate my worries and give me tips. He'd always been good that way and his tips had never steered me wrong; twice they'd found me in long term relationships. This time however, things were different. Davey had always been off limits; more specifically, I'd been off limits to Davey. Spencer had established that rule the moment I'd hit puberty and my body began it's changes. It was why I'd never thought I'd stood a chance with Davey. 

Spencer deserved to know what we were doing but I've been too scared to approach the topic. I knew Davey wouldn't. I didn't really see the point in causing a rift between the brothers. It was only a matter of time before Davey realized the mistake he made with me.

The thought sobered me quickly. I tried not to look at my saddened expression as I continued curling my hair. I had just finished the last strand when the opening chords of Michael Jacksons' Smooth Criminal played and my mood lifted. I reached for the phone and answered with a grin. "Just the person I needed to speak to."

Spencer chuckled. "I knew you loved me. What's going on?"

I sighed. "I'm having a self-deprecation episode and I need you to remind me how awesome I am." 

"Well, that's where I shine. Let's see," his voice dropped and I imagined him lazing on his sofa grinning widely. "You're beautiful, kind, thoughtful, considerate, funny, a hell of a cook," I laughed. "And the most amazing and important person in my life who I happen to love."

His words warmed me as my eyes filled quickly. "Thank you," I whispered, "I needed that."

"I'm always happy to remind you how kick ass I think you are." He laughed and then cleared his throat. It was his telltale sign. I sat straighter, waiting for the inevitable. "I actually called for a reason."

"So now the truth comes out, you were just buttering me up." 

"You got me," he joked. "But on a serious note, I need your help."

"What's going on?" I asked. 

"I um, have a date tonight and I need you to watch Zack for me." I sighed. "I know it's last minute but so was the date."

"Spencer..."

"It's with our new receptionist. I know what you're going to say," he said quickly. "Don't mix business and pleasure but, you should see her. She's gorgeous and funny. I'd be an idiot not to go for it." 

"It's not that," I whispered. "I can't help tonight."

"Why?" I hated how alarmed he sounded. Spencer always thought the worst when I surprised him. 

I gulped. "I um, have a date." He went silent instantly. I couldn't even hear him breathe. 

"Wow, I didn't expect that." I bit my lip. "Who's the lucky guy?"