CHAPTER 8

A night out with Burt was exactly what I needed

A night out with Burt was exactly what I needed. After work we'd got an Uber down town to a club called Banging. It was a ridiculous name but according to Burt, it was the city's best kept secret. He'd been bouncing around since we'd spoke of going out. His unrestrained energy reminded me a lot of Zack on Christmas Eve. He would bounce around, his eyes would bulge and he'd only blink every few minutes. His mouth would never stop moving. A lot like Burt's now.

Did he have a mute button? 

"This club is filled with hotties. There are a lot of women around our age but be careful, they aren't so strict with ID checking so do your self a favor, and find out their age first." He shuddered. "Trust me." There was definitely a story there. "The music is insane and filled with gyrating, heavy bass thumping tracks." His face sort of relaxed and an odd grin split his lips. It was kind of unnerving. He looked happy but also like he needed a moment alone.

"Sounds good. I need this." I haven't had many moments to go out. I could count the amount of hookups I'd had over the years on my one hand and the thought was truly sad. I knew why I'd been so hesitant with relationships and I didn't regret my choices. Zack is my priority and up until now, I'd been content with it. But, what I'd said to Leah and Davey was true. I felt it was time for more. Sure, I had thought it was time to find a wife and a mother for Zack but, I was delusional thinking that. No one would be good enough for Zack and relationships were too much work. They were messy. I just needed a warm body every now and then. 

Burt and I finally found our way inside the club and we beelined straight to the bar. The place was filled. There were two levels and both were encased in murky lighting, often struck with streaks of colored lights. There was a haze around the club that I couldn't quite decide where it came from. It didn't matter much because the combination of it all made for an uninhibited atmosphere. It thrilled me. 

"I've got to ask man, why the change all of a sudden?" Burt rose his hand to signal the bartender before looking back at me. We placed our orders quickly and turned to face the crowd. "I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm happy to bring you along but, ever since I met you, you've been pretty clear that your focus is your son."

"Still is," I said quickly. "It's just that I've been neglecting myself a bit. Zack is older now so I've got more wiggle room."

Our drinks arrived and Burt passed mine to me before raising his beer. "Cheers to that." I smirked, tapped my bottle against his and took a sip. "I've got to say, I always thought your avoidance of a night out had to do with that hottie you keep around. I was sure you were already getting comforted by her." He wagged his eyebrows suggestively before nudging me with his shoulder. 

My body tensed. "Do you mean Scarlett, the receptionist? I don't know her very well."

Burt gave a short shout. "Dude she's a knockout for sure but that's not who I meant."

"Well, who are you talking about?" I couldn't think of any other woman Burt had seen me with. There were some good looking women at our company but, most of them were married and we weren't at all familiar with one another. Maybe he had me confused with someone else. Had to be.