Chapter 17

So, she had a name

So, she had a name. Dressed like she was, I imagined her name was something stupid like Candi. "I thought I'd surprise you." Her smile was bright, no hint of any awkwardness or worry. She stood proudly and confident. My muscles tensed. "This place truly is gorgeous." Her blond curls swayed across her shoulders as she moved to survey the area. I took the opportunity to really look at her. The more I saw, the more I wanted the world to swallow me whole. 

She was exactly Spencer's type. Tall, blond and thin. Simply put - not me. I glanced at Davey, fully expecting him to gawk at the stranger. His eyes were glued somewhere else, though it was surprising to find them stuck on Spencer. 

"What are you doing here?" asked Davey. He sounded mad. I sighed. Spencer still hadn't looked our way. His eyes were trained on Scarlett. I wanted to reach out and shake him, beg him to look at me. To hold me. It had been weeks since I'd even heard his voice and now, when he's finally at arms length, he'd rather stare at the plastic human in front of me. 

"Not that I'm not thrilled but, why are you here Scarlett?" I sighed again. Apparently the juvenile game of 'I can't hear you' is continuing. 

Scarlett had the decency to look embarrassed. She ducked her head and peeked at Spencer through a curtain of hair. I bit my lip hard. Coy worked well on her and I was almost certain Spencer would fall victim. "I don't mean to impose. It's just that, well, you've been ignoring me since our date and when Zack -" she spared him a quick glance. I tensed. So did Spencer- "told me about your trip here and I jumped at the opportunity. I had to beg just about every person at work to give me the location but eventually Miranda spilled the tea." She giggled and fluttered her eyelashes. 

She looked ridiculous. 

Spencer grimaced and scratched the back of his neck. Ah damn, I knew that move. He was uncomfortable. The knowledge shouldn't make my stomach flutter but it did. At least he wasn't happy to have her here. "Miranda shouldn't be sharing my personal details and I'll need to deal with it when I get back."

Scarlett gasped. Hand over her mouth and everything. I rolled my eyes. "Oh no! I didn't mean to get her in trouble." She stepped forward and gripped Spencer's arm. "Please don't punish her. It's all totally innocent." Her grip loosed and instead she ran her hands up and down his arm and pressed the side of her body against his. 

"Ah well, um-"

"Daddy, I'm hungry." Spencer startled and pulled away from Scarlett. He looked in my direction, his eyes catching mine instantly. My breath hitched. His stare was strong. His eyes wide. Everything seemed to still. The air felt calmer, quieter. I missed having his attention. I missed hearing his voice. I missed everything about him. I desperately wanted to rush towards him, push Scarlett away and hold him to my body and never let go. Why had things have to change? "Daddy!" 

Spencer's stare broke. I turned my attention towards Zack and smiled down at him. "How about I fix us some dinner while we leave daddy with his um, guest? You can help me cook." Zack grinned and reached for my hand.