CHAPTER 2

Davey controlled the conversation as always

Davey controlled the conversation as always. He was the more social of the brothers though Spencer could give him a run for his money when the mood struck. Zack and I kept mostly to ourselves. Zack would often drift off and I'd have to nudge him awake. Cough syrup had that effect on him. I put all my attention on ensuring Zack ate an adequate amount before sending him off to bed. I wasn't in a social mood after Spencer's announcement.

"So, Davey I wanted to talk to you about something." I dropped my spoon at Spencer's words. He paused and threw a look my way. I ducked my head and focused on stirring the thick soup. "I'm thinking of jumping back into the dating pool and I think you should join me." My head shot back up.

Davey grinned broadly. "I think that's a wonderful idea!"

"You do?" I asked.

He scratched his jaw lightly. I noticed his cheeks turn a soft pink and I reveled in it. It didn't happen often. "Yeah, I've um been thinking about it a lot recently."

"Oh, is that so," said Spencer with a chuckle. "Who's the lucky lady?"

"There can't possibly be anyone?" I exclaimed.

"Why not?" asked Spencer. He turned back towards his brother and said, "so who is it?"

Davey's faced turned brighter as he avoided both our eyes. "There is someone but, I'm not saying anything. Not until I can speak to her."

Spencer hummed in thought and then reached for his beer. "I get it. Well, I'm happy for you brother. I think it's about time we both put that night behind us and moved on." He slapped his hand against his brothers' shoulder, squeezing it gently. I expected Davey to grimace, as he always did when that night was brought up. Except this time, he didn't. Instead, he looked towards me and grinned.

"It really is."

#

We had finished our dinner and were making our own ways home. Spencer was inside his place cleaning dishes while Davey insisted he walk me to my car. It wasn't necessary but I appreciated the company. We were quiet, each taking our steps slow. I didn't spend much time alone with Davey. The times we did, things were often awkward.

"Thanks for walking to me to my car," I said digging in my bag for my keys.

Davey moved to lean against the drivers' door, blocking my entry. He had his hands stuffed deep into his pockets as he stared intently at me. "It's no problem. I just needed an excuse really."

I folded my arms across my chest to block off the oncoming chill. "An excuse for what?"

"To talk to you."

I pulled back in surprise. "What about?"

"What I said earlier. About me dating again."

"Oh, do you want me to set you up with someone? I'm not sure If I know any-"