CHAPTER 12

I knocked on the door, waiting with my foot tapping impatiently until someone opened up

I knocked on the door, waiting with my foot tapping impatiently until someone opened up. When Zack pulled the door open and leaped into my arms, I frowned. I hid my worry and hugged him to my body tightly. Zack settled in my arms, talking a mile a minute about everything that he'd done that week. Since I'd started dating Davey, I hadn't been around as much and it meant that I had days of catch up to play with Zack. I needed to visit more regularly or the poor kid was going to combust. 

"Whoa there buddy," I laughed. "Take a breath." He took a large gulp of air and then grinned towards me. I tickled his sides, smiling wide at the sound of his infectious laughter. "Always the comedian." He squealed and wiggled, eventually slipping from my grip and dropping to the floor. 

"Come catch me Aunt Lee." He ran before I could answer. The nugget knew I'd take chase. I chased after him, twisting around the corners. Zack's laughter was loud and his screams were piercing. It settled the chaos in my heart. I chased him right into Spencer's bedroom. I caught sight of him just before he jumped onto the heap of blankets on the bed. I followed his lead, throwing my entire body on top of the heap. A load, angry growl followed which set Zack off on another round of giggles. When Zack began to lift the blankets, trying desperately to get under them, I joined, pulling them off the bed. 

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" I leaned on the back of my legs and grinned down at my best friend. He was curled into a little ball, shivering. His clammy skin was on full display. I ran my eyes over his body, taking notice for the first time. His tanned skin was glowing and golden and tight around every dip and pull of his muscle. His thick thighs were covered by blue and white striped boxers but everything else was open to my gaze. It was weird. I'd never looked too long or cared about Spencer's body before. Now, I couldn't seem to take my eyes off him. 

"You're both annoying," he groaned. Spencer rolled onto his back and suddenly, my breath hitched. His chest was smooth with muscles that were well sculpted. He had a small tattoo on his right pec; Zack's birthdate, in delicate cursive. His smooth stomach had feint indentations, the fading of his youthful six pack. His shoulders were strong, sturdy and led towards a soft, boyish face with wild hair. My face was hot and I suddenly felt flustered and confused. I rushed off the bed but got myself tangled in the blankets and fell with a loud thud. 

"Shit, are you okay?" Zack laughed loudly and began jumping on the bed. My face turned bright, made worse when Spencer reached his strong arms around me and pulled me on his lap. His hands wondered around my skin, checking for bruises or cuts. I couldn't stop staring at him. His eyes were on everything but my own and, I soaked in the opportunity to just stare. I'd never been this close to his face before and actually paid attention. His face had more lines on the corners of his eyes and lips. His jaw had little stubs of his beard coming through. 

It was all so weird. So odd. 

"You okay, Leah?" He was looking at me, right into my eyes. The feeling was something new, something never before felt. He wasn't just looking at my eyes, it was like he was looking into them, at what lie behind. I felt cut open to him. It was overwhelming and comforting all at once.  His hands reached up to grip my face and suddenly, it was like I could breathe again. The air fell loudly out of my lips and my body sagged. His thumbs rubbed against the skin of my jaw, tracing in random patterns. Still, we kept our eyes locked on one another.