CHAPTER 5

Sundays were for family

Sundays were for family. Without fail, every Sunday afternoon Spencer and I would find ourselves together with Zack. It had started so simply, when Zack was only a few months old. Spencer was overwhelmed, struggling to handle parenthood. Zack had been up for almost twenty hours at that point; desperate for sleep but unable to make the jump to dreamland. Spencer was losing his mind, ranting around his place swaying Zack as best he could. He'd called me crying and needing help. When I'd got there, it was just after lunch and the sun was out. I'd suggested we take a drive and see what a change in scenery did for the pair. Not even five minutes into the drive, both boys were sound asleep. It was later that same day when Spencer revealed how hopeless he'd been feeling. He was failing and it had broken him down. I'd suggested family Sunday's, a day dedicated to only connecting as a family and taking time out in the week to destress and spend quality time together. 

It was Spencer who insisted I join. It was Spencer who had argued for hours that I was family; that they needed me. 

I'd never missed a Sunday. 

"You've been staring into space for some time," mumbled Spencer. I shook my head, focusing once again on the movie. Zack lay on the floor in front of the TV, on his stomach with his feet swaying in the air behind him. He was enthralled by the animated movie, one he'd watched at least ten times that week. Usually I didn't mind, it always gave Spencer and I a moment to ourselves. Today I couldn't seem to concentrate. "Must have been some date." I'd barely caught his words as he spoke them into his beer. His eye roll was obvious.

I curled deeper into my side of the couch, away from Spencer. I caught his gaze shift to the space between us but, he said nothing. "It was," I finally answered. "How was yours?"

His shoulders lifted before he leaned over to set his beer down. He shifted in his seat, turning to face me. His hands landed on my feet, pulling me towards him. My yelp was quickly muffled by a pillow smacked against my head. Spencer chuckled and leaned until his face was all I could look up into. "That's what you get for spacing out on Family day."

My lips pursed. "Oh, it's on." I leapt forward until his back was flat against the cushion. Once I had the upper hand, I began pelting him with the nearest pillow. His laughter was accompanied by the occasional thwaps. 

"Aunt Lee, you're making a noise." I paused and turned towards Zack. He was sitting on his bum, arms crossed and glaring at us. "This is the best part and you're going to miss it."

"Yeah Leah, how could you interrupt such a magical scene," teased Spencer. I glared and wacked him hard on the head before climbing off him. 

"Ass kisser," I mumbled. Spencer didn't take my insult seriously, instead he stabbed his toes into my legs until I'd look at him again. "You're annoying."

"Give me attention."

"You're worse than Zack."

His feet dug into my legs harder. "I need my best friend." When I finally looked at him, he had his arms opened. Spencer could be such a kid sometimes. Spencer's love language had always been physical touch. He needed the connection. He'd always have some part of his body against mine. The only other people to face his neediness were his mother and brother but, if given the choice of us three, Spencer always seemed to gravitate more to me.