Chapter No. 22: The Tune of Tragedy

Syte Eteric marched up to us, an anxious look settled on her face. "Ink I don't advise you to go in there. I know you haven't known me for a while and have no reason at all to trust me but please, I need you to come with me!" She yells in concern. I don't know how to react! Pisces sends the person a menacing expression.  Mercury and Venus went silent and not a comforting variant.
"You literally work for Kelx! How could you have betrayed your own deity?" A snarl laid under Pisces breathe, her words cut open wounds I cannot see. A grimacing frown looked over Syte's face. Did she have no remorse for the words she had to say? How can anyone be such a cruel person, it's like she wants to hurt others. It's only telling me that the people that follow Kelx are sadistic, and it proves me good to run away with Syte.   It could be a trap, but my hand reaches to Syte as our surroundings blur away.        

I winced as the air around me went from here and there, to nothing, to everywhere. "Calm yourself, no one should be able to be in here. This place is called The Cliffside of Broken Dolls. This is a dangerous land that few can access or even manage to remain stable in for a long period of time." Their snowy hair fluttered in the breeze, their irises sparkled like orchids. "If it's so dangerous here, why would we want to be around? People always go for the non-obvious places."
"We're fine, unless either of us try to actively initiate harmful measures, the island will make our rest here peaceful." Is the island sentient or something? Is Syte some insane refuge that's been hiding from Kelx and pretending to be living a different life? Anxiety slithers down my spine as I feel my breathing go rapid. "I'm confused.?" I didn't want to have to spell out why that was.       
"This island is like if you took the mortal plane's Earth and combined it with mechanics. I don't know how else to describe it." They explain, looking away from me and gesturing for me to follow. "Interesting, do you live here? I never see you around." I asked, questions started brewing in my mind.  "I do, me and my cats do so as well."   Girl is keeping cats on them here?
"I hate walking, you know, could we just fly or teleport there?" A whine leaves me, they stop in their tracks. "I enjoy walking just fine, but you gotta realize that as much I'm doing this all to help you, I can't just let everything around follow your desires." Syte sighed once more and flicked their hair fully behind their shoulders. "You're right, I'm really sorry. I was getting ahead of myself, it was selfish of me.." Shame bubbled up in my stomach.

"You have no reason to apologize, I was just irritated. Just come on, we're almost to my eh 'living quarters'." I saw contentment of a resolved sentence vanish immediately from Syte. "Sure, but what's wrong? You look distressed." My hand reaches out to their shoulder but they step farther away from me. "Nothing, it's nothing.." It was hard to read Syte and I don't want to start an argument.
My shoulders had tensed, a thick tension of anxiety had lured itself into the atmosphere. The need to get out of this situation carved its way into my stomach.  "Syte... I've had this question stuck in my mind but I don't want to upset you." Curiosity glowed in the person's eyes. "Ask away, I can handle anything." The sentence only sparked more queries in the back of my mind.
I want to ask if they can handle anything, then why in the gates of hell did they make me run away to this wasteland? But that wasn't my question, and I don't want to raise anything around that. "How long have you been there, what are you, and why.?" It was such an extensive inquest. Something in me just had to ask all of these things. After all of these events in the past months, it's like I need to know everything. And if I don't have all the information about all of the things around me, I start to feel doomed.
"Ah, that's a long story, I suppose we should have enough time to explain." I nodded back at the milky-haired investigator as we finally approached what seemed to be Syte's cottage. Well it at least was what the building appeared to be. We walked through the door and a horde of cats approached Syte in adoration. A particular fluffy, titian-colored tabby was huddled into their arms. "This is Ursidae, he's a sweetheart but quite shy. He'll nap here as I go to make some tea. What'd you like?"