6

A/N: This dress but in brown.

I had called Layne into my office the moment Zara mind linked me and told me that Nyota had stirred up some trouble. I couldn't even imagine the five foot nine, blonde haired girl hurting a fucking fly let alone a six foot three inch man that was currently walking in his prime. But the moment Layne walked into my office, eyes bloodshot and body shaking like a leaf I knew not to assume ever again. I still had no idea what the fuck Nyota was and if she was able to cause a grown man, a rouge who's committed a multitude of heinous crimes in his past to cry then I knew she was possibly a danger to herself and others.

Zara had been the one to escort Layne into my office, he stated that he was feeling disoriented but was more than willing to talk to me. Jett had already been in my office, we had been discussing plans to keep on with the hunt for more rogues and capture unclaimed territory.

Ashing out my cigarette I lean up crossing my arms over my chest. I had been waiting for Nyota to make a mistake. To show me that she wasn't trustworthy and right now she was doing just that. There was a small part of me that assumed she had no idea of what she was doing anyways. That she wasn't just some spy sent here to gather info but rather she was really just some helpless creature that spent far too much alone time out in the forest.

"Alpha Adonis." Layne says placing a weak hand over his heart. He bows at the slightest as I barely nod my head at him, a sigh of acknowledgment. "You wanted to speak with me sir?"

"I did. Zara tells me that you got hurt during training today. Is that true?" I ask rubbing at my beard. Layne twitches in his spot his eyes darting around the room like he sees something the rest of us can't see. I squint my eyes following his gaze and just as I thought, I see nothing out of the ordinary.

"Y-yes. Paola had paired me up with Nyota, I was supposed to do a couple one on ones with her to see what her strengths and weaknesses were." Layne looks away as if thinking back on the training session was causing him extreme discomfort. I had never seen the man so shaken up before and Layne had done a lot of fucked up shit in his life.

"What exactly did she do to you?" I question getting straight to the point.

"Well during our first one on one I had landed a punch to her nose." Cain growls in my head when he hears that Layne had put his hands on our mate. It made the both of us want to rip his head off his fucking shoulders, this was new to me. Normally I wouldn't give a fuck about anyone here getting hurt during training but this whole mate thing was causing me to become possessive when I barely knew the girl. With tense shoulders and a clenched jaw I light a Cuban cigar this time to ease the tension out of my body. It was either smoke or eat Layne's heart and the latter definitely wasn't sounding too bad. I've done worse.

"It was like her body reacted late because by our third one on one her nose started bleeding and then I noticed her fist. It was covered by this dark mist, I had never seen something so strange in my entire life..." I look back at Jett sending him a look a confusion.

"A mist?" I raise a brow.

Layne nods his head frantically, "yes a mist. I was going to tell her that her nose was bleeding but before I could she punched me. It was like one moment I was here and the next moment I was gone."

"Gone as in dead?"

Layne nods his head. "Dead, in the shadow realm."

This was a shocker, the shadow realm was supposedly a myth. It was said to be a terrifyingly dark place, so dark you could hardly see what was right in front of you. And if you were able to somehow navigate the shadow realm and find a place with light then there would be shadows there, peeking around corners watching you, following your every move. You'd heard faint distorted voices whispering in your ear while the fear of a evil paranoia crawls up your veins. Eventually the paranoia becomes so much that it'll make you go mad.