7.

^ a visual of he.

regret

"I can't believe they just left me," he said sadly. he was talking about his parents. the basement was actually apart of his home, but nobody was there.

"sorry," is all i said.

we were walking through a parking lot of a Walmart. it was well deserted now. we were looking for some food and a decent radio.

it was dark by the time we drove there. he liked to take the long way everywhere to listen to music. and to smoke his cigarettes. i did the same, but without the cigarettes.

on a bad day, he smoked the yellow american spirit ones. sometimes malboro lights. i only knew these brands because i too used to work in a drugstore before the world was ending.

he was different. it wasn't always the kind that i liked.

"hey, wanna get in?" i asked pointing at the shopping cart. he rolled his eyes, walking slowly behind me. "move faster, you're not dead yet," i shouted behind my shoulder. i ran to the cart and got a head start before running standing on the rail and letting the cart take me down small bumps in the lot.

"be careful," he laughed shaking his head.

"you be careful," i giggled. i was happy for a second. and then i remembered. oh yeah, the world was ending. how could i forget?

i stopped. I stared at the once lively store turned frightening. there were lights flickering and windows busted straight open. everyone had already left. parking lot was empty and ransacked. we had probably missed all the good stuff. oh well.

"let's go," he said snappily walking right past me.

I still stared at the Walmart in horror. what the fuck were we going to do?

"hey," he said softly. the kindness in his voice took me back. it caught my attention better than his bland boring tone.

"hi," i breathed. it was so cold my words made warm smoke in the air. his arms were shivering. "you look like you regret your decision."

he rubbed his arms. he shrugged his shoulders when he was cold. this is something i learned that day. "i'm fine if we weren't standing out here for so damn long i wouldn't have to-"

i took off my top layer coat and tossed it at him. it was purple. "i don't need this," he assured.

i bumped past him, "there's a reason why i'm the scientist and you're not. put the coat on or die," i said annoyed. what he didn't see was the smirk on my face when he did.

i liked it when he wasn't being so him. it was nicer when he was more like who he may have been if he had the chance.

"killers don't wear coats," he sighed. he was tall. the arms were too short. but it made it fun to look at. he could still zip it up though.

"this killer does," i mumbled.

the walmart was ransacked. clothes and food everywhere. tv's just lying on the ground. it looked insane.

"we should spend the night here," he blurted out. this sicko was smiling at the chaos. he did have a habit of this.

"are you literally smiling at the chaos?" i said in confusion.