6.

the news

in the basement there were many things. all of which did not help with the fact the world was ending. I guess it was still a good distraction. he had a wii, that's cool i guess.

he sometimes smoked cigarettes. that was not cool. i watched him smoke and play video games while i tried to work his radio to listen to the news.

"you know that old thing doesn't work," he said, muffled from the death hanging from his lips.

"well, you're no help," i mumbled. and then there was silence. i didn't like it. he had stopped playing the donkey kong game. i looked up and he was standing above me.

i had thought, never mind this. this is the first time he stared me down. "you okay little one?" he asked, "do you need help?" he said in a teasing way.

i glared at him, "you're annoying and rude," is the best i could come up with.

eyebrows. and then he kneeled down to me, still staring. it almost felt romantic.

"since the shit clearly doesn't work, what's the answer scientist?" he said blandly, he was being mean to me and he didn't care about it. i wondered if me interrupting his donkey kong game was some kind of extreme no no for this weird man.

i smiled, in the way i used to make other men melt, his face went from bland to stark confusion. i gently brushed some glass from his beard, he caught my hand when i was finished and he looked like he was going to kill me.

and then he moved my hand back to his face again. i cupped his face in my hands. his eyes fluttered momentarily. "you're a killer," i stated.

"you're the killer," he breathed. and then he started choking on his cigarette smoke. I could tell it was because he had been holding his breath.

"what's wrong little one?" i taunted back. he moved my hand from his face in a way most may call dismissive, but he did it softly in my eyes. because he was a killer.

"don't touch my face again," he said. before i could read his expression he was turned away from me, and then he lit two more cigarettes and smoked the both at one time like some feen.

this may have been insatiable to other women. but to me? i found it sad, and that is it.

"we have to find a working radio," i decided. "or someone who knows the news. the power will go out soon, and then we'll have nothing."

"did you try the tv?"

"yeah of course," i said narrowing my eyes at him like he was stupid, because sometimes he actually was.

"someone's hungry," he muttered.

"that's sexist and i don't know how, but it is," i said picking up my bag.

he looked me up and down, "you look like the michelin man," he chuckled putting out his cigarettes on his fist. i didn't react, he probably wanted me to.

i was wearing many layers, snow pants and sweats. and my mom's long parka coat. i had even more layers packed in my bag. "it's october 1st," i said blatantly. he had no reaction. "it's michigan."

"yeah, but there's no snow yet. and it's definitely not cold enough for all this. you're gonna be so hot," he almost sounded concerned, and then i remembered he was a killer.

"hot?"

he nodded, thinking that it was a trick of words. he smirked, crossing his arms over his chest. "hot."

"the world is ending dude," i said annoyingly.

"my name is he. you can use it sometimes her," he stood close to me, filling the gap between us.

I looked up into his eyes. they were dark, but they still had light in them. unlike my ex-boyfriend's. his eyes held nothing. he was a psychopath i think.

i smiled at him, "and if i don't?" i stood on my tippy toes to reach him. and i touched his face again. "killer," i whispered in his ear.

he almost shivered. "scientist," he greeted. his hand was outstretched in front of him suddenly. i took a step back and shook it without hesitation.

"nice to meet you," he said blandly. he tried to make his voice sound so emotionless to cover up his very obvious emotion painted all over his face and body.

it was the first time we officially introduced ourselves. his name was dramatic, just like him. my name was like a yellow begonia flower. that's all it was to me. at least that's what i want strangers like him to believe. subtle innocence combined with his lies.

our names suited each other, still i prefer to live it as he and her for now. i am the scientist after all.

his cheeks were almost red, but we're black so. it's more of an assumed thing.

"let's go find the answer little one," i shouted from behind me running up the stairs.

I heard him groan from behind me as if he were beginning to chase me. "you're fucking shorter than me!" he shouted.

he was a weird guy. i sometimes liked it.

this is the beginning of the end.