24.

MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. GREENE

It had been hours of waiting actually. i couldn't really keep track after i counted the first two. i just knew he kept me waiting.

in the meantime i decided to write him a letter. he had mentioned it was going to be his birthday soon. i didn't know when, and knowing him he wouldn't tell me even if i begged. so, i decided to write him a letter...and crochet him a little hat.

it wasn't his thing, i know. in my grandmothers room she had plenty of items for knitting and crochet. i kept crocheting in the closet so he wouldn't walk in on me. this time i wasn't losing my mind in here, just peacefully gift making.

the hat was red. he mentioned he liked red on a spare occasion. i couldn't remember, but i felt like it was his favorite color. it was either red or purple. i really seemed to lose track of our conversation, all we can do is talk.

the hat was kinda flared out at the ends. a bucket hat if you will. and the gloves? i made them too small. i knew that. and the scarf was black and red. i crocheted his initial in it. it made me realize i didn't know his last name. i don't think i had ever asked.

he was my eli ____ ? hm. after all of the gift making i put everting into an empty shoe box and brought out my pen and paper.

i wanted to write him a poem or something. something i wasn't able to put into words. something from the heat of the moment.

i sighed and tapped the pencil against my leg. what could i say about him?

i began at the basics.

eyes: very brown. sometimes too brown to look into. because when i stare for so long i start to see shades of amber and orange swirl between the rims of chocolate coffee almond glow. they are so enchanting. but still creepy. because they look perfect...perfect? damn i don't really use the word perfect, but yes. after conducting studies and heavy research i've been able to conclude your eyes are perfect elias.

if ever i had the chance to give light to you your orbs
i'd wait until golden hour to watch them pour
most tears have never filled anything
but
your eyes have never held much before
until they met mine
i didn't know perfection was possible
i didn't know what i lived for
i live for almond eyes of warmth
they only used to be called brown before

you've shown me so much more
you show me so much more

i was just playing around. i started to scratch out the paper, ashamed that i wrote a page just about his eyes alone. i then heard a loud thud from downstairs, and the sound of a faint shout. i abandoned the paper and ran downstairs as fast i could.

upon reaching the bottom of the stairs, i found elias underneath a large fake christmas tree that was tipped over on top of him.

he looked up, breathlessly and embarrassed. "fuck i ruined the surprise," was the first thing he said, instead of "help, i'm being crushed by a tree with heavy ornaments!"

i laughed and helped him tip the tree back upright. as i did i noticed the room. it was...decorated? all the decorations were from the last christmas i remembered when my grandparents were alive. it made me tear up suddenly.