Chapter 31 - Destroyed

The flames quickly spread around the hotel, the coldness of the air replaced by the burning hot feeling from the fire. "We're stuck! We're so gonna die!!" Screech cried out. "Stay calm! I'm going to try and find an extinguisher!" Spirit said, she turned into light form and flew away and rounded a corner. A few minutes later, she came back, holding a fire extinguisher. "The fire's gonna reach us!" Rush said as everyone backed up. Spirit pulled off the pin from the fire extinguisher and sprayed it at the fire. "Thanks Spirit! I wish I could fly like you," Rush said. "No worries, but we'll have to leave before this place collapses!" Everyone ran towards the Main Hall, but just as Ambush was about to open the door, the ceiling caved in. Ambush coughed loudly as everyone retreated back. "Where are we supposed to go now?!" Rush said. "I don't know, we have to keep moving!" Spirit said.

Everyone ran along the hallways filled with fire. Suddenly, the ceiling above Rush caved in and a bookshelf fell through. Rush let out a cry as he scratched his arm against a sharp, twisted piece of metal. "Ow! Scratched my arm on this stupid metal thing!" Rush said, grasping his arm tightly as blood flowed from the deep wound. "Rush! Your arm! We need to get you a bandage for your arm," Halt said, holding Rush's injured arm. "Come on guys! We don't have time for this!" Screech said. After a few minutes of running, everyone reached the doors of the library. Spirit pushed open the library doors. The library was also filled with fire. Upstairs, Figure, Seek, Timothy and Eyes were stuck amongst the debris. "Help! We're stuck in here!" Eyes shouted. "Yeah, help us! Someone!" Timothy shouted as well. "Timothy! Is that you?!" Screech asked. "Screech! Yes! It's me! We're stuck in here!" Screech ran up the stairs and tried to pull the debris out. "Guys! I need help! There's too much stuff!" Screech said.

Rush, Ambush and Halt ran over to help Screech move the pile of debris, while Spirit used the stand of a broken lamp to try and pry apart the debris. A few minutes later, the pile of debris became dislodged. "Alright! You are free now!" Spirit said. "Phew, thanks a lot everyone!" Figure said. Seek rolled his eyes in annoyance. Rush was put off by him, they had freed them, why is he annoyed? He should be grateful of all things. "We have to leave! This place is gonna fall!" Screech exclaimed. "But where to? The entrance to the Main Hall is blocked," Spirit asked. "We'll figure it out, let's just leave the library first!" Halt responded. But at that moment, the doors to the library were blocked by the debris of the ceiling and furniture from the higher floors. "No no no! We're trapped in here!" Timothy cried. "There's literally another door right here..." "That door doesn't work," Figure said. "What do you mean it doesn't work?" Seek asked. He went to the doors and tried to pull it open, but it would not budge. He tried slamming himself against the door, trying to break through it, but the door was as hard as a rock. "What is this door made of? It's so tough! Stupid door!" he cursed. "Let's make our way downstairs first!" Ambush suggested.

Everyone ran down the stairs as the building started to give way. "Watch out! The bookshelf is tipping over!" Spirit said. The bookshelf landed over the desk, destroying it completely as book spilled over the floor an quickly caught fire as well. "This is it! This is the end!" Screech shouted. They were trapped, no where to go, all exits blocked, with the building slowly collapsing over them. "Well... There is one last resort..." Eyes said, pointing towards the window. "No... You're not suggesting what I think you're suggesting... Right...?" Timothy said hesitantly. Eyes nodded his head. "You want us to jump out of the window?!" Timothy yelled. "It's the only way to make it out of this hotel alive..." Spirit said. "But you can't! There's a wall blocking us from exiting!" Rush suddenly said. Everyone stared at him in confusion, "Wall? You're out of your mind! There is no 'wall!'" Seek said. "Ugh! You'll see!" "Whatever, who's going first?" "I'll do it," Halt said. "No! We don't know how high up we are!" Rush said. "What if injure yourself? Or even worse, what if you don't ma—" "I'm willing to take the risk, this is for everyone else here!" Halt went up towards the window and broke it. He climbed out and let go. Rush heard the sounds of cracking. "Oh no... I think something bad's happened..." he ran over towards the window and peered out. "It's fine! There are bushes here! They'll break your fall!" he heard Halt shout from below. "Guys! It's safe! Come on! Quickly, before this place collapses on you!" Rush shouted towards the others. Everyone quickly ran over, and one by one, they jumped down from the burning building.

Everyone met at a small field a few metres away from the hotel. It was a small, comfy patch of grass. Everyone turned around, the towering hotel fell below the canopy of trees, soon followed by a cloud of dust. "It's gone... Our home... It's gone..." Ambush said. "What now? Our home's completely destroyed..." Timothy said. "I don't know... I think it's best if we just stay here, for now, at least. We don't know what may be lurking in this forest." Spirit suggested "What about food and water?" Screech asked. Ambush looked around, he saw a tree with something red on its leaves. "Hey guys, I think I see an... Apple tree over there?" he said. Rush went over to it and tried to reach some of the apples. "I... Can't... reach! The tree's too tall!" "I'll get them for you," Spirit said, flying up and taking some apples. "Well... Apples aren't going to last us very long..." "Hopefully they can last us at least a month." "There's only one tree though!" "Then maybe around a few days..." Beside the apple tree, Rush saw a small stream. "Guys! I found water!" Rush exclaimed. "Well, alright. But we're going to need to find help! Or we're gonna starve!" Figure said. "I know... But let's at least rest for a bit, I'm tired! Those last few minutes were really intense..." Halt said, laying out the grass.