Spirit's Backstory - Chapter VII

"Hey, Hide. Come check this out!" Spirit exclaimed.

"Spirit, it's so early! Can you let me sleep in peace?" Hide complained.

"You call 12 p.m. early? You have some really weird sleeping patterns..." Spirit said softly. "But can you wake up please? I have something to show you that took me like 2 years to finally master!"

"Ugh, fine, show me..." Hide said, annoyed. He sat up and stretched.

Spirit sat down on the sofa that she had been sleeping on for the past few days (after all, the missing people case hadn't been solved yet). She took in some deep breaths to calm herself down.

Spirit closed her eyes and said something that Hide could not hear. Hide watched as a blue aura formed around Spirit. And soon, a blinding white light filled the entire room. Hide flinched and quickly closed his eyes. When the light disappeared, Hide reopened his eyes to find Spirit gone. All that was left was a small blue sphere of light.

"Spirit?! Where did you go?! Come back!" Hide panicked. The blue sphere started moving around and going through some walls. Eventually, the sphere returned to the couch as another blinding white light filled the entire room. Once again, Hide closed his eyes and once the light had disappeared, he reopened them.

Upon reopening his eyes, he saw Spirit back on the couch laughing. "Spirit! What in the word just happened?!"

"Haha! That was the new trick I wanted to show you! I can now turn into a blue sphere of light and turn back whenever I want. But I think the white light will disappear after a while..."

Hide was amazed. "That like the coolest thing I've ever seen! I'm so lucky that we're BFFs."

"Aw, thanks!" Spirit said as she smiled.

"Can you teach me please?" Hide asked.

"I don't know... I mean, you don't really know any magic so, I don't know how long it could take to learn this, if it even works at all."

"Aw man, I was really hoping to be able to become a light sphere whenever I wanted..." Hide said sadly.

"Don't worry, you'll probably find other fun things to do," Spirit said trying to cheer Hide up.

Suddenly, the fire alarm went off. Spirit quickly looked out the window, trying to spot any fire. "We gotta get out of here right now." Hide said. He ran to the door to open it, but it didn't move at all. "Oh no, the door's not budging!"

"Try pushing harder!" Spirit exclaimed as she came over to help Hide. But even with two people pushing against it, the door was still staying shut. "There's probably something outside blocking the door from opening," Spirit said as she turned into her light form and went through the wall. Outside, she saw mountains of furniture stacked up against the door, including a table, television, vase and even a safe in one of the piles. It was evident that there was no way out using the door.

Spirit went back and turned back into her human form. "That door's not moving anytime soon, we've got to find another way out," Spirit explained.

"The window?" Hide suggested. But before Spirit could respond, a thick black smoke started to fill the room up. Hide felt all the oxygen being pushed away through the window as it got harder and harder to breathe. "Stay down!" he called out. But soon the entire room was filled with smoke, there was no way out. They were both now breathing in black smoke instead of oxygen. Hide started feeling asphyxiated, and soon lightheaded. Soon, his world dimmed as he fell unconscious.

"Hide! No!" Spirit shouted. But that was probably not one of the best ideas. It wasn't long before Spirit too fell to the ground unconscious.