Chapter 11

(Author's note: The entire book is available on Patreon

(Author's note: The entire book is available on Patreon. Head to my Patreon account to read the full book, username: shaziyakhanwrites. Follow me on insta for fun reels of my books, username: shaziyakhanwrites. Any grammar or spelling mistakes, point them to me politely, thank you!)
~~~

Her toes twitched as excitement bristled past her. She yearned to hold onto the essence of that feeling, capture it in the palm of her hand, embrace it, and never let go...

-Maryam
~~

It turns out she was going after all...

"Woah!" Her head whipped in the direction of the familiar voice and even more familiar orbs that stared down at her with an unfathomable glee. "You actually came!"

She did...

"Do you mind?" he said, gesturing towards the vacant seat by her side.

She nodded quietly before looking away, outside the window, feeling the warmth spread her cheeks. Adjusting herself, she moved closer to the wall of the school bus, giving him space to get comfortable.

"I cannot believe you came!" he said in a breathy sigh, staring ahead of him and then at her, in disbelief.

She could not believe it either. It was a last minute decision really. As she was leaving the school premises on the last day of giving out names, watching her mother wait for her outside school gates, she had made a U turn, quickly writing off her name in the list of students venturing for the trip and scanning the payment, lest she changed her mind again.

Her mother had been shocked at the revelation, but nevertheless she was happy, despite the weighing skepticism shown in her eyes. Maryam knew even though her mother didn't stress on her concerns. She was afraid. What if Ethan's friends hatched something against her, or worse what if Ethan...?

"Anything happens, you give me a call, okay?"

Maryam had nodded, reassuring her mother that she'd keep her informed at all times. Accidentally, she had ended up spilling the beans about Zack as well, catching her mom off guard, more so with the beaming smile that spread over her face.

"Zakariyya, huh? Do you like him?" her mom had asked with a teasing grin, "Is he officially your first crush?"

"Mom! No!"

Her mother had laughed at her, shaking her head. She did not believe Maryam.

Maryam did not believe herself, as a matter of fact.