Chapter 17- Full Chapter

(Author's note: The entire book is available on Patreon. Head to my Patreon account to read the full book, username: shaziyakhanwrites. Follow me on insta for fun reels of my books, username: shaziyakhanwrites. Any grammar or spelling mistakes, point them to me politely, thank you!)
~~~

A vicious cycle has taken over her life, beating her down, tearing her apart, watching her from afar as she collects her broken pieces, only for the enemy to pounce on her and destroy her again.

- Maryam
~~

She poised herself against the window, ready to jump out as the car came to a halt, although unsuccessful, hearing the click of the lock.

"Na-uh, not so soon," he chuckled, pinning her with his ever-cruel gaze.

Seated close to him, her body thrummed with the familiar feeling of unease. Her jaw ticked and numbed as though she was going to throw up at any moment. She clenched her jaw tight, leading her thoughts to her mother. The last thing she needed at the moment was to watch the burning satisfaction of seeing her at her worst, more than he already had. Not that she could guarantee it for much longer, not breaking down.

"P-Please, Ethan–" her voice trembled distinctly.

"Dammit, Mary!"

He was suddenly close, too close for her comfort as he brought his hand to cup her cheek whilst she squirmed beneath his touch.

"You have no idea what it does to me when you beg like this, while calling my name. If only you knew...," he stared at her with that crazy glint she wasn't strange to, "the crazy thoughts that run in my head."

"Please, don't–"

"Si amore, just like that."

"Ethan," the clipped voice called from behind.

"Ah! If it isn't for Lucas...," he sneered, swiftly moving away from her and allowing her to breathe freely.

"Come on, love. Time to see your mother, I'm sure she'll be delighted. Isn't that right, Lucas?"

He didn't wait for a reply. Instead, grabbing hold of her hand, with an iron grip, he pulled her out of the car with a jerk before slamming the door shut.

"Now," he began firmly, placing his hands on her shoulders and looking at her as if she was a mere five-year old, "I need you to behave. I don't want any rebellion from your end. People will be watching."

She didn't respond, not at first. Instead her gaze moved from his to land on Lucas. Clad in a pair of torn blue jeans and a white t-shirt with his head lowered to the ground, he stood with his fists clenched by his sides. Perhaps, he was ashamed to meet her gaze. She didn't have the time to ponder though as she was harshly dragged closer and snapped at.

"I can see you getting carried away. Don't you see where that brought you?" he remarked viciously at her lack of interest, in ire.

She nodded robotically, feeling her heartbeat skyrocket at the threat in his voice. A stark reminder that her mother was still in danger. Although he had promised her that she was safe, she couldn't take his word, not when Lucas looked shattered. Weirdly enough, she had come to read his expressions that she had previously thought to be nil.