Chapter 12

She thought freedom was all she wanted, all she craved for, all she desired

She thought freedom was all she wanted, all she craved for, all she desired. But she yearned for something more, she wanted to be held gently, she wanted to feel secure, and most importantly, she wanted to be unafraid.

-Maryam
~~

"Her wings were short but so very bright, nurtured under the loving gaze of her parents...," her eyes moved to the cluster of glistening lights hanging from the sky.

"That nestling knew how to soar high in the sky..., and she grew out to be this confident, free bird, even though she had lost one of her parents," her voice croaked, and her determination threatened to shrivel at the reminiscence of her father, resting in her most beautiful of memories, "she remained strong, for her mother."

The small bursts of sobs hindered her from speaking her heart.

Zack noticed this.

"Marya..., you don't have to–"

"No," she interrupted, swallowing her cries, "please, I need to do this."

She needed to let him know. She needed to know that he knew why she needed to leave everything behind her. He needed to know why she can never act upon the feelings that bloomed between them. At first she couldn't find the courage to share her story. How could she narrate the pathetic state she was in without crumbling all over the soil of the Earth. So she spun a story of her own to convey the predicament of her life, something her father often did to impart moral lessons on her when she was a child.

Now sat beside him, after her initial outburst and blatant confession of fear, she needed to get it out of her chest. Or maybe she just hopedd to lighten a tiny bit of the burden weighing everyday upon her shoulders.

He didn't utter a word after that, simply nodded his head and looked away from her, facing forward into the darkness of the night.

Tightening her clenched fist over her chest, she rubbed it lightly as if trying to erase some of the ache away.

"Sad and depressed, the mother and daughter set out in search of a new nest, hoping that this would be their home, a new beginning, a new quest for happiness..."

A bitter laugh escaped her as the words tasted like dirt in her mouth.

"But this new nest, that was supposed to be their safe haven, was a hunting ground for a pack of vicious hunters, and their leader Ethan Russo hunted down their tiny family. He captured that full of life creature, and he put her in his cage."