CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT- I WAS NOT IN LOVE

William

One day, everyone leaves. In the end, I always end up alone.
I couldn't explain what I was feeling at that moment, but the image of my mother under that sheet came to my mind. Underneath that sheet was the woman I loved and she was gone.
It was strange for me to think that as I watched Heloyse walk away. It had been a strange day. I was fine, strangely happy and suddenly, everything had gone wrong.
And those memories came back to me as she walked away.
She said she didn't have a heart to give anyone anymore and that bothered me. I wanted to run and hug her, however, my pride wouldn't let me. Damn it! I've never chased after any woman, so why would I do it now?
I closed my eyes and ran my hands through my hair.
Why did I feel this way? Am I...?
"Of course not, Will! Of course not!"
So I missed kissing her. I missed touching her hand. I missed her smell and even the softness of her hair.
I entered the stable, saddled Diamante and rode towards the river. I needed to clear my head. One certainty I had within me: I would not go after it. I'm not that kind of man and I never will be.
So why was I like this? "Oh, hell... It couldn't be love...".
I suddenly felt tired. Tired of being alone. A brief wish to have her with me every night, every morning, and every day crossed my mind.
This was not good. I was not in love!