CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE- THE STUBBORN THOM

William

“I have the money you need. You know it!
“I know, Will. But, I already owe it. I can't get into another debt.
— So how about forgetting the previous debt? I release you from that responsibility and you can concentrate on paying me this new one.
“Of course you release me. If it were up to you, hombre, I wouldn't even be returning the money. You are very good, Will. But, I can't suck you up every time I have financial problems.
Thom was pretty stubborn. Nothing would make him change his mind. He was going through some problems on the farm and did not accept that times had changed and he would need to modernize the way he ran his business.
“You don't suck me, Thom. I don't know where you get these things from. Besides, you're my friends and that's what friends are for. We help each other.
“I appreciate it, Will. I thank you for considering us so much. You don't know how happy I am. If Martin were here, he'd be happy to hear that too.
I shook my head.
I missed Martin several times. Losing him was like losing a brother. And whenever Thom spoke of him, it was very painful.
"I promise I'll think about your proposal."
Thom wiped his grimy hands on his worn twill slacks and kicked up his scuffed boots in an attempt to shake off the dust.
Once on our horses, Thom hummed something about life and hard work. He always came up with something to hum.
Yet it was morningand the day was already exaggeratedly hot.
A month has passed since Heloyse and I got back from the cabin. It was strange to miss her.
Who would say? A few months ago if someone told me that I would feel a crazy urge to be with just one woman, I would have laughed. Strangely, I want to be with her all the time.
"Strange" was the right word.
As much as I missed her, sometimes I didn't show it to her. I wasn't good with these things.
"Are you going to see Lisy today?"
- Yes I will.
“I want you to know that I'm happy for you. I hadn't taken the time to say it in person. I want you to know that I approve of your relationship...
- But...?
“I just think you should also show her that you're happy with what's been going on between you.
- I'm happy.
“I know, Will. I know because I know him, but, Lisy, no. She needs you to show it.
- I know. I just don't know how to do this. But, it's not like we're getting married, so I have time to learn.
"Do you ever intend to marry her?"
- Not! I said with an exaggerated assertion.
I didn't like the conversation. I could be feeling so many things for her, but the fact that I was marrying someone was still something new. It was all so recent. Marry? It wasn't quite what I had in mind.
- I understand. I appreciate your sincerity. And I hope you're using that sincerity with her.
“I am—at least I thought so.
Thom nodded and quickened the horse's pace.
“Look Will, the problem with the mill is that it's almost my age. In a few days the poor man will no longer be able to take the brunt of it.
I thanked him in my mind for changing the subject and surreptitiously let out a long breath.
“You may be old, but you're strong.
- Maybe.
“I'll have Calvin and some men come over and have a look at the mill. I'm sure I have everything you need.
- Thanks. Your help is well received.
Thom brought his horse to a screeching halt and leaned forward a little.
"What do you have, Thom?" What are you feeling?
- Nothing, nothing...
- What is happening?
- Nothing!
“Don't lie to me, man. You're not okay, I'm not stupid.
“I just feel a little dizzy. I didn't have coffee. Only that.
"Have you ever felt this before?"
“No…well…maybe, one time or another.
“I think you should go to the doctor.
"I have to sort out the mill, and I need to collect the money the—"
Thom stopped just as a dry cough started. He was breathing heavily, his face pale and covered in sweat. He took off his hat and wiped his face with his hand. He coughed some more and then looked at me.
“Don't make that face. I will not die. I just didn't drink coffee.
"Then I think we should go back."
"Yes, let's go!"
Thom really wasn't well and he knew it.

***

“My God, you look pale, Thom. What was there?
skyasked the question looking at me. Certainly, knowing her husband's stubbornness, she knew he would explain it as vaguely as possible.
"I'm fine, woman!"
–– He got dizzy. He said he didn't have breakfast,” I said, listening to Thom's rapid breathing.
“I'll tell him, Will…I'll tell him to drink his coffee properly. But this empty head only thinks about work. I love this place so much and I can't imagine living anywhere else, it's just that sometimes I think we should sell this place and go somewhere else. I can't stand to see Thom if he's done working.
- My God! It was just a malaise because I didn't drink coffee. Now you want to sell the farm because of that?
"If it's to see you having a moment's rest, yes!" And stop talking and eat.
I heard footsteps and when I looked towards the door, Heloise was there.
- What there was?
She was wearing a hat.
Oh shit! Heloyse in a hat was refreshingly good to see. She looked beautiful with anything.
She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and continued to stare at me and then she smiled.
“Hello, Will!
- Hey!
"So, are you going to answer me?" What was there? Your face is not very good Cielo.
— It's just that Thom is a hell of a stubborn person. It doesn't hear us. See how pale he is? I told him to have his coffee. But not...! He has to leave and ignore what I said.
Heloyse approached Thom and pulling a chair, sat beside him.
“You're pale and your breathing is too fast. This is not good. I should go to the doctor.
Thom rolled his eyes and scratched his white beard.
“You women are dramatic, you know that?
skyhe muttered something as he stirred glasses. I didn't quite get it, but it was something about hanging your own husband.
“Thom, I'll take you.
“No need, Lisy. I'm fine,” she said between words and a cough.
“That's not 'being fine', Thom. You're going to the doctor today if I drag you by the hair, you stubborn old soft ass.
I wanted to laugh when I saw Cielo talking and pointing the wooden spoon in his face. But the matter was serious and would be rude.
Heloise was not polite. I saw the corner of her mouth curl into a small smile and I ended up laughing too.
"Okay, Katherine!" He is well!
“I think it's really good.
— But first I'm going to have my coffee and I'm going to take a shower before I go. I stink like a pig in a pigsty.
"Okay," she said, a little more relieved.
Thom took a sip of his coffee and we followed.
Minutes later, he left.