Chapter I

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐈

Periods One and Two
——————

April O'Neil, without her only companion Casey Jones, sat in the math room bored out of her mind; she regretted showing up to class early and instead of leaving for the extra few minutes she decided to just play with a pencil.

The room filled up more and more as each minute passed, most student going to their assigned desk, shown by papers taped to the corners of the desks. Some students didn't care for their spots and picked for themselves where they would sit forcing others to do the same.

"Good morning, lady's and gentlemen." An older man wandered in wearing a purple dress shirt and jeans. "My name is Mr. Armstrong and something about me is-

Nobody cared, it was obvious by their faces.

The class went by reasonably fast.

With it being the first day the teacher decided to just play a little "get to know you" game with little packs of skittles he handed out to each student.

If you have any red skittles you'd have to share that many thing you did over the summer,
Orange: something about your family,
Yellow: what you're looking forward to over the pending school year,
Green: a hobby or internist you have
And purple: an interesting fact about yourself.

Mr. Armstrong started with the left side of the room and slowly made his way over to the right; most teens were forced to participate and even then they just vaguely explained how much their "annoying" parents sucked if they got an orange skittle or sleeping in if they got a red.

It was that way till the teacher got to a kid sitting in the middle of the room, said kid was slouching and jotting down notes in a notebook rather aggressively and didn't even bother hiding the fact he was listening to music; no doubt, if everyone was dead quiet they would be able to hear it blasting threw the white earbuds.

"James, it's your turn to tell us about yourself." The teacher reminded the kid with sea foam green tipped hair and glasses; who didn't appear to be paying attention till he put his green mechanical pencil down and started pushing his skittles into a pile, one by one, colour by colour as he spoke.

"Three red: moving living spaces, work and court meetings. One orange: none existent. One yellow: leaving everyday. Three green: crochet, art, the occasional baking. Five purple: I don't like people, I have a pet turtle, I like Mountain Dew, I don't sleep and I don't have any friends."

The whole room turned silent long enough to prove the loud music theory true; now everyone knew he was right in the middle of listening to golden hour by JVKE.

"Alright, Chloe, what do you have for us?" The teacher asked the next student to try and get things moving once again before the bell rang for next period.

April kept looking at the boy with a mix of confusion, audacity and sympathy; weird combination but she couldn't help it, it was a weird kid.

The bell screamed a few minutes later signalling the fifteen minute break before the next class started; before they left however Mr. Armstrong told the teens to pick a locker along the wall just outside of the classroom and handed out their times tables as they left the room.

So, to spend the fifteen minutes, James took out his purple lock from his bag and chose the locker closet to the end to clam as his own for the school year; and, completely by coincidence, April was forced to have the locker next to his.