Chapter XXIII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

Day Together
——————

"Remember to text me if you need a ride to another shop or if you're ready to go home." Charlotte demanded as she watched James and Donnie get out of her small car. "I'm just going to be around doing a little shopping for myself so I'll be there if you need me."

"We know, thank you." James closed the door. "We promise to be careful."

"You'd better, if anything happens to you the government will have my head." She stated, a playful glare in her eyes. "Oh, that reminds me, they sent you another pay check this morning."

"I know, I checked." James adjusted the strap of his "man-purse"—as he called it— and glanced over to Donnie who was just standing there awkwardly.

Before Charlotte left to find a parking spot she muttered a quiet compliment to him about how realistic his "costume" was.

The two friends made it into the large shopping centre together and noticed just how busy it was, James held the turtles hand then confidently started walking forward.

Donnie hardly noticed; he was so enamoured by the structure and people around him that his own senses were dulled.

James lead him over to a digital map and typed away at the keyboard; checking to see if they could go to all his favourite places.

He found all of them and memorized the directions to Spencers first, it being the closest, and stated to drag the turtle around with him.

On their way around the two collectively noticed that they weren't the only two dressed up, most employees were wearing some kind of costume—wether it be a little witch hat or a full vampires garb.

Aside from the workers, however, the two were the only ones dressed for the holiday; it didn't matter though, more fun for them.

"I just want to pop in here for a second to see if they have any new pride jewelry or pins, you can look around in your own if you'd like." James unclasped their hands and walked in.

The turtle walked in after and was a little spooked when someone greeted him right away, he gave a small wave and awkward smile while following James at a sight distance.

He didn't even realize he had walked passed his friend till he made it to the back of the shop, he wasn't paying much attention to the walls at first but when he did take a glance he froze.

He wanted—needed to look away but he couldn't, why would there be a wall like this in existence? He didn't know and he really didn't WANT to know, he just needed to walk away before he was caught staring at—

"You're back here?" James trotted up beside Donnie and looked to what had brought such terror to the turtles face.
"Oh, you thinkin' on getting one?"

When James asked that Donnie wanted to shout "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" But the only thing that could make it's way out of his mouth was a faint squeak that could have been mistaken as a screaming mouse.

"I might get a few for myself when I turn eighteen." James picked up a long, black and purple box and examined the toy after opening the little flaps magnet and chuckled. "I heard online that you don't even have to be an adult to buy one but I'm a good kid and am willing to wait a few months."