Chapter XI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈

Shy Voice
——————

"Favourite colour?"

'Purple, what about you?'

"I like all colours but green especially!"

'All colours you say, even brown?
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)'

"Brown is just dark orange so of course I do.😌"

Donnie giggled happily while going a little shoulder shimmy at that reply, it was logical humour, his favourite.

The two had been texting for over three hours already with Donnie still on his rooftop; yet facing away from James' window—away from his entire apartment building actually.

He didn't really have to be sitting outside in the cold but if he was intending to keeping you a secret from his brothers and other friends it was a necessary precaution.

"Why are you self conscious of your voice, if you don't mind me asking?"

Donnie's shimmying shoulders stopped after reading that, he froze and before he could even think about an excuse James had already texted again.

"You obviously don't have to answer, I don't want to make you uncomfortable.😉"

Donnie smiled softly.

'I've always been told my voice sounded funny, it's higher in pitch and I get voice cracks still.'

He explained.

'I sound like a nerd _'

Donnie loved adding emoticons to the end of his not so serious texts; it added the perfect amount of humour in his personal opinion.

Even if the last text was a joke he got hit with an honest reply he didn't expect.

"Well, I just so happen to like nerds so you're safe! 😘"

He froze, he read it over and over trying to think about what to text back with; yet, for the first time since his first conscious thought, his brain went blank.

He couldn't think of anything, even so, his fingers started moving on their own; slow yet not slow enough not to notice.

He had no control of what he was doing but he knew that if he did he'd definitely hesitate or just not do it.

James looked down at his phone thinking that maybe the heart kissing emoji was a little too much or too sudden—he even debated on just deleting the message in its entirety but before he could even comprehend the thought he saw that it's been read.

Trying to keep his mind off this he turned back to the meat-filled tomato sauce he was stirring for the spaghetti he just decided to have in the middle of the night.

He was mildly allergic to tomatoes.

He put his phone on the counter as to not focus to much on it; that didn't go according to plain because as soon as he turned away from it, it had started vibrating.