Chapter XIII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈

Happy Birthday, Donnie
——————

"Holy shit..."

That's all that came out of the humans mouth when he saw what was on the other side of the window, a humanoid reptile with a purple mask, olive green skin with a soft scaled texture—and he wasn't completely sure, considering how far he was from the window, but did it have red eyes?

The two just stayed staring at each other till the human boy appeared to almost jump and quickly walk over, his mind was racing—with his main thought being of the current temperature outside; the cold blooded creature must be ready to pass out with how cold the late fall air was.

James had a little trouble opening the window at first—mostly because he's never had to open that specific window before—but when it was open he can't help but gawk at the being before him.

After an awkward moment more James grabbed the turtles arm with a quiet and embarrassed 'oh, shit' and pulled him into the living room—after he was in James closed the window once again as to not let anymore of the cold air in.

After repeating another nearly silent 'oh, shit' James grabbed a fluffy blanket that was always folded over the couch and wrapped the turtle in it in hopes he'd warm up faster—despite the blanket only reaching to his knees, it seemed to have worked; because as soon as it was wrapped around his front he nuzzled into the soft fabric.

James took note of the turtles hight, it looking about six foot one compared to his humble yet natural five foot five-ness; and the fact that the human was slouching in awe didn't help.

When Donnie noticed the boy starring at him he looked back into the humans eyes, he never noticed but his eyes were more of a grey then a blue.

"Thank you." Donnie muttered pulling the blanket over the bottom of his face a little more.

Him speaking shocked the smaller boy; that fact being visible by the widening eyes.

"Say that again." James softly demanded and leaned a little closer to the reptile.

Donnie gulped then opened his mouth again. "Th-Thank you—for letting me in and, you know, not running away or calling the police or screaming—you screaming would have been really bad 'cause-

As Donnie started ranting on and on about the possibilities of what could have happened; James looked at him with stars in his wide eyes, this was the stranger he was talking to over the phone—his one and only friend in New York.

-not only could all of that have happened but-"

"Donatello?.." James asked almost too quietly for said person to hear.

"Yes?" He asked stopping his rant and confirming the smaller boy's suspicions.

He didn't know what else to say, he's already gotten the reptiles attention so he had to say something to not make it that much more weird or awkward.

"Happy birthday, Donnie."

"So, you've been a turtle your whole life?" James asked spreading frosting on the room temperature cakes to, hopefully, stick them together.