Chapter XII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐗𝐈𝐈

Surprise
——————

"Wait, it's your birthday tomorrow!?"

James was in his usual bathroom stall and on the phone with Donnie who was sitting in his lab tinkering with wires and metal.

Luckily the couple wasn't in the bathroom today or that would have been an awkward confrontation.

"𝙔𝙚𝙖𝙝, 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙮 𝙛𝙤𝙧 𝙣𝙤𝙩 𝙩𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙤𝙤𝙣𝙚𝙧." The turtle apologized from the other end. "𝙄𝙩 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙨𝙡𝙞𝙥𝙥𝙚𝙙 𝙢𝙮 𝙢𝙞𝙣𝙙, 𝙄 𝙜𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙨."

"No reason to apologize, it's just a little surprising is all." James readjusted his sitting position and changed the hand that held his phone. "How old will you be turning?"

"𝙊𝙣𝙡𝙮 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣." Donnie replied as if it was nothing but that information nearly made James choke on the ranch dipped cucumber slice that was in his mouth.

"Seventeen!?" His voice came out a little muffled so he made the wise decision to swallow his food and clearing his throat before continuing.
"The topic of our ages didn't come up previously so I really wasn't expecting that reply, I apologize for making it such a big deal."

He could hear a chuckle come from Donnie which made his face turn a little red, of course, he was just embarrassed by his over-reaction and that's why he was getting extra sweaty and no other reason.

"𝙃𝙤𝙬 𝙤𝙡𝙙 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙣?" He asked a slight sound of sparks were heard; as well as a mechanical updating buzz.

"I'm seventeen as well." He popped a pice of red bell pepper into his mouth and waited for a response.

When he didn't get a response he decided to continue the previous topic of his friends upcoming birthday.

"Typical question, but what do you want for your birthday?"

The sounds from the phone stopped; save for the light music that played in the background, the turtle had to think about it for a moment.

"𝙉𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮, 𝙤𝙠𝙖𝙮-𝙣𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙄 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙤𝙗𝙩𝙖𝙞𝙣." He welded a little more and continued when he could sense the human boy's confusion he elaborated.

"𝙐𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙞𝙪𝙢 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙗𝙚 𝙛𝙪𝙣 𝙩𝙤 𝙬𝙤𝙧𝙠 𝙬𝙞𝙩𝙝, 𝙨𝙤 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙣𝙚𝙬 𝙩𝙚𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙪𝙗𝙚𝙨 𝙞𝙛 𝙄'𝙢 𝙗𝙚𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙘𝙤𝙢𝙥𝙡𝙚𝙩𝙚𝙡𝙮 𝙝𝙤𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙩."

James let out a snicker at that reply. "Nerd after my own heart." He muttered and listened as the bell rang signalling the end of lunch. "I gotta go, but I'll see what I can find for 'ya." Donnie was about to say something was cut off. "I don't have to give it to you till you're ready to meet up in person, I'll text when I can."

And with that he hung up the phone not giving Donnie enough time to tell him that he didn't have to get a birthday present.

So as James packed up his things Donnie was slumped in his desk chair with his arm over his tiered eyes, lately he hasn't been sleeping—mostly because of James' wrecked sleep schedule and a constant desire to see the human boy.