19: Upon Further Realization

I really hated that Kenan came to my job to see me. And I especially hated that he questioned me in front of my father. Because not only was I already dealing with Zayn's unexpected absence. Now I had to deal with my father cornering me in my office on my lunch break.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me this." He was saying as he paced the floor.

"Why were you hiding it?"

"I wasn't hiding it. I told you I would tell you when I was ready."

He shook his head.

"You have no idea what you have done by breaking up with her."

"I didn't break up with her."

He stopped pacing.

"Oh? So she broke up with you. What did you do?"

"Why do you assume it's something I did?"

"Because you didn't want to go through with it in the first place. But she actually likes you. She wouldn't break up with you without a legitimate reason."

I exhaled heavily.

"You heard what she said to her father. Our parting was mutual."

"Sure it was. I don't for a second believe she's not hurt but simply trying to keep her father from getting upset right now." He said sarcastically.

"He can't do anything to me even if he is upset."

"That's not what I'm talking about. And see that's why you shouldn't be making decisions when you have no idea what the hell you're doing!"

Except I did know what I was doing. He just didn't know it. Still I sat quietly.

He pointed at me.

"Don't think this is over. It's not. We're going to have a talk about this soon before we have to break the news to your mother."

He left my office in a hurry and even slammed the door behind him. A nightmare was unfolding before me in more ways than one. And I just couldn't seem to do anything about it.

❤🧡💛💚💙💜

Zayn never did show up to work that day. Understandably, my father was angry about it. But that was because he didn't know why it was happening. Well, I didn't want him to find out why. So I knew I was going to have to try my best to get him to return soon.

After my workday had ended, I drove straight to his house. His car was in the driveway. That meant he was home. So I got out, went up to the front door and knocked.

I waited for a moment. And when he didn't come to the door, I rang the doorbell and knocked again.

"I know you're mad at me, Zayn. But this campaign is coming up and my father is freaking out because you didn't show up. I am too to be honest. I had you with me the entire time to help me but now you're suddenly not here and it's overwhelming."

I stopped talking long enough to see if I could hear anything. But I couldn't. It was quiet. I sighed.

"I know you're in there and I know you're listening. So let me say this. I know I broke my promise to you. I'm sorry for that. And I want you to know I'm not ashamed of you. You mean the world to me. But things are just complicated right now. And I know it sucks for us that things are like this but I know we can still work it out some kind of way. If you just... Zayn... please."

I waited and waited even longer. But when it became evident he wasn't coming to the door, I finally gave up.

"Just know my dad is really hoping to see you at work tomorrow. I am too."