𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

CHAPTER FIVE —— SURVIVAL
OF THE FITTEST

    "WHO SENT YOU?" The group of heroes, plus the agent and doctor watched the robot in question, wondering who or what the fuck it was. Suddenly, the robot began to play what seemed to be a recording of a familiar voice.

    "I see a suit of armor around the world." It was almost as if a lightbulb had gone off in Bruce's head, his eyed widening, looking towards Tony.

    "Ultron."

    "In the flesh. Or, no, not yet. Not this... chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on a mission." Hazel took notice of the way Thor gripped his hammer tighter, Maria loaded her hand gun, and the way Steve stepped in front of her, hands clenched in tight fists. The Barton girl moved her hands to her sides, opening them to take control of her powers. Something resembling black smoke slowly flowed out of her hands, her shadows coming back to life.

    "What mission?"

    "Peace in our time." Suddenly, two more of Tony's robots crashed through the wall behind Ultron. Steve kicked up the table in front of himself and Hazel, stopping the robot from coming straight at them. The two friends were blown to the floor, as the rest of the team tried to take out the others.

    "Fuck you, you stupid fucking hunks of metal!" Hazel sat up, letting the shadows flow towards a robot. Like a snake, they slithered up its metal frame, constructing around it until it exploded. Hazel catches a glimpse of Nat and Bruce jumping over the bar together, a smirk on her face as she got up from the floor, fighting off more bots. Gunshots rang through the room as Steve stupidly jumped onto the back of a bot as it boosted itself back into a wall, the super soldier taking most of the impact. The younger red head was going over to check on her best friend when a robot quickly flew at her, catching her off guard as it hauled her into the air. "God damn it." Out of the corner of her eye, the girl could see Thor throw his hammer at a robot farther across the room but she knew that she had to think quickly. She opened up her hand like she would when conjuring her own powers, but this time, she only needed Mjolnir.

    "It can't be." The blonde Asgardian watched as his beloved hammer changed course, heading straight for Hazel and the robot. The Barton girl felt the hammer hit her palm before turning slightly to whack the robot in the head. Hazel quickly fell to the floor, landing on her feet with a grin plastered onto her face.

    "Sweet."

    "Lady Hazel, the hammer." Hazel beamed as she threw the hammer towards Thor, her older brother throwing Steve's shield to him at the same time. The super soldier didn't think twice before jumping to catch it, using all of his momentum to spin and sling it at a different bot.

    "That was dramatic!" Instead of doing what the rest of her team did and catch her breath, Hazel chuckled, looking at Thor.

    "Does that mean I can come to Asgard with you now?"

"I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to...evolve?" Ultron leaned down to pick up one of the dismembered Iron Legion bots, holding it in his hand. "With these? These puppets?" The robot quickly crushes the Iron Legion bot's head, making Hazels eyes widened. "There's only one path to peace, The Avengers' extinction."

"Lady Hazel." The red head watched as Thor tossed his hammer towards her, a grin on her face as she sling it at the robot in front of them. The hunks of metal hit the floor as Thors hammer made its way back to him, the robot creepily singing

"I had strings, but now I'm free. There are no strings on me, no strings on me."

..........

"All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch." While the Avengers spoke, Clint worked on seeing his sister up, the girl cutting herself when the robots first attacked.

"Ouch, birdbrain. Watch it." Clint looked at his younger sister, glaring as he stuck the needle in, a little rougher on purpose. "Okay, now you're just being an ass. That is no way to treat the ruler of Asgard."

"He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

"He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?" Haze snorted as her brother finished up on her stitches, turning to the group.

"What? Like Tony's search history?" Hazel saw Tony's jaw clench, glaring at the her while she sat on the table, a grin beaming on her face.

"Nuclear codes." The Avengers watched as the girls expression dropped, telling them that was a lot worse that the billionaires search history.

"Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

"Nukes? He said he wanted us dead." The Barton girl shook her head at the older woman.

"He didn't say dead. Im pretty sure he said extinct. That's a lot worse." Steve glared at the girl, letting her know it wasn't the time to joke.

"He also said he killed somebody."

"But there wasn't anyone else in the building." The young red head watched Tony sigh, showing a 3D picture of what she knew to be Jarvis.

"Yes there was." Hazel softly gasped as she got of the table, her hand covering her mouth.

"He killed Jarvis."