(Fifteen.)

++

Next Day

++

Dwight scanned his eyes carefully over the sheet of paper he held in his hand. He moved the ink pen over every line, checking the exact amount of transactions, costs, and totals for a particular property of his.

On the coffee table we're a dozen other sheets, each with complicated sets of numbers that only be understood. Ramona came out of the bathroom, speaking on the phone about something else that was also work related. "Well, yes I did warn her that it was somewhat unrealistic to build a floating home especially if It is built from a thin and vertical foundation. Foundation can tend to weaken over time, and weather take a huge toll on it as well. If not done carefully it can collapse." Said Ramona.

"Also, it's extremely expensive. That's why the quote I gave her was so high. Her becoming upset about was unnatural, and the email that she sent to me was beyond unprofessional. If she feels that way, she's more than willing to hire a loophole hack fresh out of college. It's not my problem. Anyway, the drafts for the daycare are almost complete, please just tell Ms. Green that she can count on it to be done by November. Also, tell Yesenia, the new intern in the project management department that cell phone use is for break hours, not work hours, and if I find out about her doing it again I'll have to have the project manager speak to her about it." Ranted Ramona, sitting down on the couch.

"Thank you, goodnight." She said, then ending the call. She released a huff, her phone dangling from her limp wrist as she suddenly laid on her back. Dwight looked up at her for a moment, then back down at his paperwork. He started typing numbers into the calculator on the table.

"Looks like you're dealing with a heavy load, Ms. President." He said. "Do you know the most annoying thing about my career?" She asked. "Always having everyone call on you for everything?" He asked. "No, the unrealistic structures that people think I can create for them." She said. "Sure, I can draw a house that's something you'd see in a dream. That does not mean it's practical. And I've had to learn that from experience. Architects are one of the most creative people in the world. I used to draw houses made of out anything. I once drew a house with everything including the roof made out of glass. But the roof wasn't a flat roof, and the base of the house was on wooden pegs instead of the ground itself. Realistically, it would likely cave in. The wood would get weaker over time and the house would have collapsed." She said, shaking her head. Dwight chuckled.

"Do you know the Farnsworth house in Plano?" She asked. Dwight thought for a moment. "I believe so. It was built in the 1950s, but I don't remember the exact year...- 1951. It was built in 1951 by Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe for a doctor named Edith Farnsworth. Floor-to-ceiling glass panels framed by white painted steel, intended to emphasize a connection with the green landscape surrounding it. It's beautiful, an immaculate concept. But it wasn't realistic." Said Ramona.

"Why is that?" Asked Dwight. "The architect got sued multiple times by Edith because of frequent floods from a nearby stream, the issue with bugs developing a strong attraction to the pure white color of the building, rusted steel beams, and poor ventilation." Ramona explained.

"So I'm assuming that now it's merely there for decoration." Said Dwight. "Exactly. Now it's demoted to nothing but a mere concept. Something to admire but what a person would be miserable living in. I never want my work to end up that way." She said. "It won't. Because you're smart, realistic, and practical." Complimented Dwight, making Ramona smile. She sat up, walking over to the couch. She sat next to him while on her knees, leaning over his shoulder and wrapping her arms around him. "Well I'm not the only intelligent person in this room. I'm curious what you're working on, early grad." She said, making him grin.