Part 31 - Stay Away

Tessa

I wake up with a light headache and something heavy on my stomach. I slowly open my eyes and I regret what I did.

"Fuck." I say quietly.

Why I am so stupid? Why I let him to take me home? Jesus! I want to hide under my bed and to not come out.

Oh, c'mon! Be brave and throw him away.

"Hardin..." He groans and I push his hands away.

I get away from him and I get up. I put on some clothes, and I leave my bedroom. Just to be greeted by Emma on the couch. I hope she doesn't know Hardin is here.

"Hard night, huh?" I can spot a smirk on her face.

"I slept after being drunk."

"Yeah, and you were having a sex dream with Hardin? You're not fooling me! You literally screamed of pleasure, Tessa!"

"I didn't know what I'm doing. I was drunk. Abd what happened last night, will stay between us, alright?"

"You still love him."

"No, I don't. I don't love him anymore. I'm happy with Robert."

"If it's true what you're saying, Hardin wouldn't be in your bed. And don't try to deny it because I know you and I can read you like a book. So, stop denying your true feelings."

"I'm not. Now, excuse me. I have to take him out because we have to get ready for the wedding." I walk back in my room and I open the blinders, making him groan from the sudden light.

"Turn off the light!"

"Get up and leave, please."

"What?" He quickly gets up and he looks at me.

"You heard me well, Hardin. And get dressed. You can't stay with a semi-hard-on. You have five minutes." I say and I get out, letting him to get dressed. "Please, show him the way out when he's done." I say to Emma and I get inside the bathroom, locking the door, ignoring everything and pretending that my ex isn't naked in my bedroom.

*

Me and Emma watch the newlyweds dancing for the first time as husband and wife.

"I can't wait to see you and Becca having your dance as a married couple."

"Soon. I just have to find the perfect timing. Now, that I have our parents' acord, I just need a good moment."

"As I remember, your anniversary is coming soon. So..."

"Too cliché."

"Then be spontaneous."

"Let's hope everything will be okay."

"Yeah."

"What are you going to do with Hardin and Robert?"

"Nothing. What happened last night will stay between us. It won't happen again because I start to have feelings for Robert."

"I told you, Tessa. If you were in love with Robert, Hardin wouldn't have been in your bed last night. Look at him! He's watching you like you are his prey. Give him another chance. I'm sure he's another men right now. He knows to keep you close."

"I don't want to. Hardin broke my heart twice and I can't forgive him again. I'm happy without him, okay?"

"Let's say I believe you."

"Thank you. I'm going to the bathroom, excuse me."

I walk to the bathroom where I pee and I wash my hands. When I get out, I'm greeted by Hardin.

"Hi."

"Hi. I have to go."

"Where?"

"Back to my table."

"Can we talk?"

"There's nothing to talk, Hardin. It was a mistake what we did last night."

"I want you back."

"It's too late. I'm happy with someone else."

"No, you aren't. If you were happy with him as yoy say, you wouldn't let me fuck you last night."

"I was too drunk to know what I'm doing."

"You are still in love with me, Tess. You have to admit it. Be honest."

"I am honest!" I raise my voice. "I don't love you anymore and I ask you nicely to leave me alone!" I say and I leave.

I'm proud of me because I told him all of these, but I feel my eyes sting, so I don't go back to our table, but outside. I'm lying to myself. I still love him, a lot. Especially now that he's back. But I won't make the same mistake I did years ago.

I'm on the terrace and I look at the sunset. The wind is a little bit cold, but I can't be in the same room with him anymore. He's going to destroy me and I don't want to suffer anymore.

"Here, take my jacket." He puts his jacket over my shoulders, but I don't say anything. "I'm sorry, Tess. I never wanted to hurt you. But it was a big opportunity for me to study there. I learned a lot while I stayed there. And I don't regret my decision, not about what I did there. But I regret because I didn't talk with you since the beginning. Maybe we could have a long-distance relationship."

"No, we couldn't. And, please, leave. I don't need you."

"If you were speaking the truth, you wouldn't have tears. And your heart wouldn't be broken."

"I am speaking the truth, Hardin. I don't want you anymore. It's the tenth time when I repeat this."

"He's not making you happy, I can see this. He's not me."

"You're talking shit, Hardin." I turn to him. "You don't know me and you don't know him."

"I know you. You didn't change. Not too much." He takes my chin between his fingers. "I know you are craving for me, love. And I will do anything to win you back."

"You can give up, Hardin. I'm done with you. Forever. And stay away from me!" I take away his hand, then I give his jacket back and I walk inside. I can't let him play in this way with me. I'm done suffering for Hardin Scott.

I walk back to our table and I see a curious Emma.

"Where were you?"

"I had a talk with Hardin."

"Oh, and?"

"And I told him to stay away."

"It's not good. Hardin is really hopeful and I'm sure he will fight to win you back."

"Not if me and Robert do the next step."

"What do you mean by next step?"

"I'll ask him to move with me."

"Oh... This is your way of showing Hardin you don't love him."

"And hopefully, Robert will propose."

"I'm really curious how you will make it work."

"Trust me, I'll be married next year. Just to forget Hardin."

"If you say so..."

—————————

The morning didn't start as good... Tessa made a big mistake, as she says. Emma told her something about what happened and she denied everything. She just threw Hardin away, without discussing what happened last night. Is this good?

At Nate and Mia's wedding, Hardin wants to talk with her, but she doesn't want to do this. She knows somewhere deep in her heart, the feelings for Hardin are there, but her heart was broke when he left and she can't give him another chance.

She plans her future with Robert, but I don't think it will work.