Chapter 4: Well, life goes on...

PRESENT DAY

My mum died nine months ago. Heart complications. I can't comprehend the grief. The only thought that keeps me going is that she was probably happy to die, I mean, who would want to live life paralysed? I still live with Bill. Before she died, she left the house to him. That was obviously before he turned abusive and it's not as if she can ring up for an appointment to change her will. She thought Bill was kind. She hoped he would be like my new dad. How wrong she was.

I guess you could say I live life on the edge. No money, no real home, petrified of the man who sleeps in the next room. The smallest things turns him. A pain unimaginable I can't put into words.

I work six days a week, ten hours a day at the café, earning money to put towards Bill's gambling. My heart aches everyday thinking about the life I have. Mrs Berry is kind to me though. I'm the only one working there. She tries to look after me. I see her eyes sweeping over the bruised eyes, the finger marks scattered across my arms.  But she keeps quiet. She knows that doing anything would be worse than doing nothing. Because little did any of us know that Bill works for one the most dangerous gangsters in Britain, the Ventto family, at least now I know how he used to always have money. If I even tried to run away, he likes to remind me how easily his "friends" would find me and how enjoyable it would be to kill me. Besides, he takes what little money I make, how could I ever run away?