Chapter 5: milaya devushka

Another day, another hour of work. It's fine though, it gets quiet late at night. Its about 10pm and there's three teenagers sitting in. Apart from that, it's empty.

Something feels strange today. I just have a feeling. A bad one. I'm not going to tell myself "how can things get any worse" because every time I do that, something even worse does happen. "Dear, can you serve this customer, my hands are full." Mrs Berry says sweetly.

"Sure" I say. I walk to the counter and turn to see a man standing in front of me, looking in his mid twenties. Weird. He's wearing black. Literally everything is black. He looks like he's going to rob us. Crap. I gulp.

"Can I have a bottle of coke please" He says. His voice sounds soothing. I was expecting it to be really deep and scary. I nod. Of course the bottle of coke was on the very top shelf of the fridge. I reach my arm as high as I can, the sleeve of my cardigan riding up my arm, revealing my bruises. I catch him staring. I reach the bottle and tug my sleeve down, feeling my face growing hot. I look up at him and give him his bottle. He's handsome, very handsome. He's tall with dark brown hair and light blue eyes that could pierce through anyone's soul. He wasn't tanned but he wasn't pale either. He had a tattoo on his hand and on his neck. He was wearing a black hoodie and black jeans, looking out of place. He was either a criminal or an emo. "£1.10 please" I say to him. He reaches into his pocket, without looking away from me. He hands over a £20 note. "Keep the change" he says with a wink and walks out into the night. Yep. Definitely a robber.

I lock up for Mrs Berry and make my way home in the dark night. I hate walking in the dark in London. You never know what's going to happen. To be fair, I'm probably safer on the streets than in that hell hole I call home. Anyways, after about twenty minutes, I make it to the front door. I'm sure the devil will be happy with the £20 tip I made today. As I reach the door, I suddenly notice something isn't right. It's open. I go to turn around but for some stupid reason, I decide to  walk in. As soon as I make it through the front door, I stare around in horror. The whole house is trashed. Glass is shattered everywhere, the table is knocked over, pictures are hanging down. Everything seems to be broken. Even Bill wouldn't trash the house this bad no matter how angry he was.

The house was hauntingly silent. I walked in against my better judgment. I held my breath as it seemed so loud against the eerie silence. I tip-toed across the hall and what I saw next scared me half to death.

In the living room stood Bill. Not just Bill. There was a bunch of masked men, wearing total black. One was holding Bill around the throat with a gun pointed to his head. I wanted to run. I wanted to scream. But nothing came. I was immobile, my feet glued to the ground beneath me.

"Ahh, who's this Bill? Is this your daughter?" A man laughed. He had a foreign accent so it was hard to make out what he was saying.

That's when I finally had the power to run. Before I did, the man grabbed me and held on to my arm so tight it was sure to leave a bruise.

"I have an idea. We take your girl until you pay back the £50,000 you fucking stole from us or we'll kill the fucking bitch. Do you understand?"

My heart raced faster than ever. I was going to die. I cant believe what's happening. I wanted to find my voice, tell the masked guy I wasn't Bill's daughter and to please let me go, but I couldn't. I suppose it didn't matter anyways. They would have took me for just walking into that room. Lucky me, being the girl at the wrong place at the wrong time.

"Yes, I agree. She's a milaya devushka isn't she? We'll have fun with her for sure" The man laughs. This man wasn't wearing a mask. He was tall and blonde with skin whiter than snow. He could have been handsome if he didn't look so evil. By the way he spoke, he sounded like he held the most authority. I can't breathe. I cant understand what they are saying, my mind is too much in shock, but I know it's not good. I looked at Bill, searching for any hope, but he looked dead, not meeting my eye, not even looking sorry that he's ruined my life, serving me up like a piece of meat to the most dangerous people around. He didn't care. He was probably glad they were taking me so he wouldn't be killed. The next thing I know is I feel a huge blow to the back of my head and the darkness engulfs me...