Chapter 29: A Trip Down Memory Lane

ASHTON'S POV

I look over at her and watch her gamble with Jake. His face is in disbelief as if he's shocked at how good she is. I can see her face and it's covered in a huge smile. I can't hear her but I imagine the sound of her laugh, and I smile. At that moment, she looks around the room, as if searching for someone. When she catches my eye, she smiles. I love seeing her like this. I love knowing that even though I was scared to give her this life, she is evidently enjoying it. I don't think anything can ruin this perfect moment. 

As we smile at each other, I feel a hand place on my shoulder. 

"Ashton" I hear the man say. I don't bother turning around, I know it's Lorenzo. "One of Carlo's men has just rang. I'm so sorry , but your uncles dead, cardiac arrest about 5 minutes ago. He's informed me to tell you that you and Ron need to come back immediately. Luca's been informed, he's already went home. I'm really sorry mate" He adds and pats me on the shoulder. I just nod and I hear him walk away.

I can feel the blood drain from my face, the thumping of my heart smacking against my chest. This is it. This is the beginning of my true life. I look back up at Rae and can see her worried face. Obviously my expression is worrying her. I stare at her and I feel sick. Look at the life I'm bringing her into. It's her choice if she wants to leave me, I won't force her into anything. Even though I love her, a small part of me hopes that she'll choose to leave. Not even I can protect her from this world...

RAE'S POV

"Oh my God, he's dead?" I say shocked. I go over to Ashton and hug him. I think he's in shock. 

"I need to go back" He whispers, not meeting my eye

"I'll come with you" I tell him. He nods.

Turns out everyone decided to go back. No one spoke in the car. I sat next to Ashton, he just looked out of the window the entire time. I reach for his hand that's on his knee and I hold it. He gives it a little squeeze, but doesn't say anything.

As soon as we arrive, Ron and Ashton leave to see the dead body. The rest of us waited in the hall. When they came back, they both looked really pale. We saw Luca come out but he just walked past us into his room. His eyes looked red and puffy.

Ashton stands. "Ok guys. The plan is tomorrow we go back to England for a couple of days to tie up some loose ends. We've decided that since I have to stay in Italy to run the major things here, Ron's going to stay in England and take over stuff there."

There was a silence. No no no. I know me and Ron haven't had the best of times but this is horrible. Lucy was quietly sobbing in the corner. Jake looked sad. He obviously wasn't going to leave Ron in England on his own so this was goodbye to him as well.

Ron's face was still expressionless, but at the same time, you could see how sad he was, the same as Ashton. These men had spent their whole lives together, they were twins, now they had to live in separate countries.

"It's up to you guys if you want to stay in Italy or move back to England as well. Obviously I have all these Italian men here but if you want to stay you can. Or go."

I could feel him looking at me. This was for everyone but I feel like he wanted me to decide as well. 

"You's don't have to decide now. We go back tomorrow for four days. If you want to stay then, you can." He says. His face is breaking my heart. He looks so out of it. "For now, yous can go back in your rooms and pack and do whatever shit you need to. Tomorrow will be a busy day." He says. He looks at us all, pats Ron on the back and leaves back to his room. 

The place is silent. Lucy runs up to Ron, crying and hugs him. He hugs her back, his face still expressionless. She then goes over to Jake and hugs him. The rest of our men sit in the corner and stare into space in shock. I am in shock to. I can't imagine a world where Ashton and Ron aren't together...