Healing

Chapter 4- "X"

March Day 2, 10:09 P.M.

After dinner, Mai tagged along with Madoka, Ayako, and Kiko to see the garden. The pathway was lit up with Christmas lights and small lanterns. It was beautiful, even though you really couldn't see the color of the flowers too well. When Mai saw the fountain lit up along with the gazebo, she understood why couples would come here for a vacation. It was rather romantic.

She was honestly and understandably exhausted when she returned to her room. She didn't exactly sleep much the night before and she wasn't sure it was because of her insomnia, her nightmares, or perhaps the fact that she had to sleep with her boss. It really was a tossup at this point.

I still feel gross after being near the hot springs, she thought to herself as she closed the door behind her. Naru's still not back yet, he'll probably be working until late. I better take a shower now.

She gathered her things and headed for the bathroom, making sure to lock the door behind her. Not that I think Naru would barge in, but better safe than sorry.

After removing her clothes and getting everything situated, she turned on the shower and got in. She massaged shampoo through her short hair and rinsed it out. I feel like this was a bad idea, she thought as she started smoothing conditioner over her hair. She grabbed her razor from the ledge. Shower scenes are usually in horror movies. I know I'm not dealing with a killer or anything, but-

And then the air grew cold. But she must have been imagining it. She held her breath and slowly let it out. If it was as cold as she suspected, she would see her breath right?

I'm imagining things-

Pretty.

The whisper startled her, but it was the feeling of the hand on her back that sent her falling forward.

Crash! Thunk! Thud!

"Owww..." she grumbled as she propped herself up on her elbows. She felt a stinging sensation on her knee as she brought it up to help her stand. She watched as blood oozed out. "Great, I fell on the razor, didn't I?"

"Mai! Answer me!" That was when she heard the knocking on the door.

Guess Naru decided to call it a night early, she thought with a shake of her head. She pulled herself up to her feet and carefully climbed out of the shower. I'm going to be so sore tomorrow.

"Mai! Answer me! Are you okay?" Naru's knocks had turned into bangs and Mai wasn't too sure why she hadn't answered yet as she wadded up toilet paper to over her bleeding knee.

"I'm fine," she said, though her voice sounded more shook up than she had hoped.

"Do you need Matsuzaki?"

"Her name is Ayako, and no I'm fine." She was slowly getting aggravated.

"You don't sound fine."

"For the love of-hold on!" She grabbed the complimentary bathrobe that was hanging on the back of the door. She put it on and tied it before unlocking the door. She sat down on the toilet and held the toilet paper to her knee. "Come in if you're so concerned."

Slowly the knob turned and Naru poked his head in to see the sight she was in. "What happened?" was all he asked as he still stood mostly behind the door.

"I slipped and fell on my razor," she said with a shrug. She looked back at the still running water. "Can I get back to my shower? I still have conditioner in my hair."

Naru ignored the second comment and walked into the bathroom. There was a small medicine cabinet next to the mirror. He opened it and pulled out a small first aid kit. He leaned over and turned off the shower and then knelt next to her to take care of her knee.