c h a p t e r n i n e t e e n

When Caroline initially told me that Bonnie's mom had left her again my first thought was that it was a good thing, that she'd be better off. If my last few years of isolation have taught me anything it's that I don't need anyone else to survive, or at least I thought I didn't. If I had a mom that has abandoned me once before I'd be relieved when she finally left again.

That is not the case with Bonnie. She seems sad when I go see her and even though she tries to play it off, I can tell she's really hurting.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask as we sit at her kitchen table, steaming mugs of coffee in front of us. I heave a quiet sigh of relief when she shakes her head, knowing that I'm not really a talk about your feelings type of girl.

"It just seems cruel that she could come back into my life just to leave again," Bonnie says quietly and I fight the urge to tell her that sometimes it's better when a parent is gone for good. I know that's not what she wants to hear right now.

"Have you talked to Elena since you've been back?" I ask, changing the subject before I say something insensitive.

"No."

"She really wants to see you. She's been worried about you."

"I know. I will see her, I just-"

She pauses and I place my hand on her arm, forcing her to look at me.

"It's not her fault," I say earnestly. "You know that."

"I do," she admits. "I just need a little bit more time."

"Don't take too long," I say as I sip my coffee. "Elena needs her Bon-Bon. She's been driving me nuts."

"Really?" Bonnie asks, the first smile I've seen flitting briefly over her features.

"Yes! I don't know how many times a day she calls either you or Caroline but I think I've been getting all of them. Do you guys do anything else?"

"Not really," Bonnie laughs. The sound causes a smile to form on my face and we spend the rest of the morning refilling our coffees and catching up on most of what she's missed the last week or so.

When I arrive back at home there's an unfamiliar car parked in the driveway. Klaus is leaning against the exterior and I can make out a mess of blonde hair sitting in the passenger seat. I park my car and approach Klaus as I take in his appearance. The hybrid is wearing dark jeans and a t-shirt that hugs his lean figure. A jacket is slung over his shoulder and he grins as I approach him.

"Morning, pup," he calls out to me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"Now, I'd expect a kinder greeting than that after last night, especially since we-"

I rush forward and clap my hand over his mouth, hating the way my stomach flips at the mischievous look in his eyes.

"Enough" I whisper, grinning when I feel his mouth curl into a smile beneath my palm. I let go and start to walk toward the front door, Klaus following closely behind me.

"Do you need something?" I ask without looking at him.

"My sister and I are taking a trip to New York to retrieve Finn and bring him back. You're going."

I turn around to glare at him and he purses his lips together to suppress a smile.

"Fine. M'lady, would you do the immense honor of accompanying me to-"

He cuts off to laugh as I whack him repeatedly on the shoulder.

"Smart ass," I mutter, but I can't help smiling as well. "Why would you want Finn here? Isn't it better that he's gone?"