c h a p t e r t w e n t y s e v e n

Ding. Ding. Ding.

"Make it stop," Klaus groans sleepily, rolling away from me in his bed and pressing a pillow over his head to drown out the constant pinging of my cellphone that I plugged in a couple minutes ago.

Ding.

"I'm serious, pup. I'm going to take the device responsible for that incessant noise and throw it out the win-"

"I've got it, relax," I say with a smile as I press a kiss to the exposed skin of his shoulder and roll over to grab my phone off his bedside table. I flip it to silent but it continues to vibrate in my hand as all of the texts from my friends I've missed since I've been with Klaus finally go through.

"Fuck," I mutter, examining all of the concerning messages. "I'm sorry, I really have to go."

"You're leaving?" Klaus asks, flipping over to face me as I slide out from under the covers and begin to look for my clothes.

"I've got to face the real world sometime, right?"

Klaus' eyebrows knit together as he picks up on the reluctance in my voice.

"No, you don't. Hey."

He reaches out to grab my wrist. I sigh as Klaus sits up and pulls me against him in the bed, wrapping his arms firmly around my waist with his chin resting on my shoulder. I lean back against him with a sigh, relishing in the feeling of his warm skin pressed against mine. 

"You don't have to do anything that you don't want to do. If you wish to stay in this room forever then that's what we'll do."

"As appealing as that sounds," I groan as he starts to press feather light kisses to my neck, "I've got to find out what the fuck's been going on. Turns out that my life falls apart when I ignore everything in it for you."

"Are you saying you regret it?"

I turn and press my lips firmly against his, snaking my hand behind his head and curling my fingers in his wild, sleep ridden hair.

"Not a chance," I whisper against his lips.

"Good."

"But I still have to go."

I move to slide out of the bed and Klaus slumps forward in the spot I just vacated with a groan. I shake my head at him and move to grab my clothes off the floor. I locate my pants across the room where Klaus threw them and stride over to slip them on. I'm looking for my shirt when Klaus appears in front of me with one of his own in his hands.

"You're going to run out of clothes if you send me home with them every time I come over," I say, grabbing the dark grey t-shirt and pulling it over my head.

It smells like Klaus, the soft fabric hanging loosely against my skin, and I can't help the involuntary flutter of my heart at the look on his face when he sees me in his clothes.

"Is that supposed to be a bad thing?" he asks, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me against him. "It means you're coming back."

"I'll always come back," I whisper as he leans in to kiss me. "You're fucking stuck with me now."

"Lucky me," he says sarcastically against my lips. 

I move to push him away but he pulls me into a kiss instead. A happy sigh escapes my lips when they meet his and I allow myself a final moment of peace. One last second in our little bubble before I ruin it by leaving. 

"Alright," I say, pulling away. "I really have to go."

I slide on my shoes and unplug my phone before realizing that I don't have anything else to grab. My keys and car are both at Elena's where I left them before everything went down.