c h a p t e r f o r t y s e v e n

Klaus and I argue back and forth for hours about the note, him trying to make me understand that he needs to take this warning seriously and leave immediately. He's convinced that I have to come with him and I spend what feels like forever trying to get him to understand that I can't leave right now.

"Elena needs me!" I explain. "The cure is still in play, Silas is god knows where, and graduation is only a few weeks away! It doesn't make any sense for me to leave now."

"It doesn't make any sense for you to stay!" Klaus fires back. "Not when I obviously have to go."

"Really? You obviously have to go?"

"Yes, Stella, I do."

"Why? What did you leave behind in that city when your father chased you out? Who there would want do destroy you?"

"I don't know!" He yells. "Someone, everyone! I've made a lot of enemies in my life, pup. That's what happens when you're as powerful as I am. A lot of people would be happy to see me dead."

"Don't do that," I snap at him. "Don't explain this shit to me like I'm stupid. I know there's a lot of people out there who hate you. I get it, you're the big bad wolf."

"It's not about that."

"Of course it's about that! Look, Klaus, I wouldn't change who you are even if I could. I love every part of you, even the parts that drive me absolutely fucking insane. I just think you decided to leave without really thinking about it."

"I can't afford to think about things like this," Klaus says and I can feel the stress rolling off of him. "I have to act. I'm not just protecting me anymore, I'm protecting you. I can't take even the slightest chance that someone could get an edge over me and I'd be too weak to protect you."

"God, please don't put this on me," I ask him. "I don't want to be the reason you leave. It'll drive me insane."

"Then come with me," he begs.

"I can't!" I shout. "I'm not saying that you shouldn't go but I can't. You have to understand that. It's not- it's not time yet."

The weight of this entire situation is beginning to get to me. It feels like we've been arguing in circles for hours and my head is starting to pound. A frustrated groan escapes my lips and I bury my face in my hands.

I hear Klaus move on the other side of the room and for a moment I think that he's leaving to start gathering his things. Then I feel him gingerly grab my wrist and pull my hands away to get a clear view of my face.

"Pup. Hey, look at me," he says softly, kissing my hands and placing them on his chest before cupping my face with his own. I reluctantly look up and meet his surprisingly gentle eyes. "I have to go take care of this. I don't want to leave you here but... I understand that you need to stay. At least for a little while."

"A little while?"

"We'll figure things out. It's likely that I'll only be gone a few days. It shouldn't take me very long to find this Jane-Anne person and rip her heart out."

I let out a quiet laugh and wrap my arms around Klaus' waist, leaning my head forward to rest it against his chest. He slides his arms around me as well and places a soft kiss on the top of my head.

"I'll miss your murderous tendencies," I tell him.

"I think you've got enough of your own," Klaus says and I can tell he's smiling. I pinch his side and he lets out a quiet yelp before hugging me tighter to him.

Klaus is right. The truth is that he'll probably only be gone a few days. I'll barely even have time to miss him before he's back.

Then why does it feel like he's slipping away from me?