16- Flatline

Sal's anxiety spiked when they called more nurses and doctors to the room they took Larry into, and despite being told not to, Sal ran back there as well, Neil following in attempt to stop the boy.

People were rushing in and out of the room, and Sal could hear the heart monitor beeping, but then the worst happened. The worst sound that Sal never wanted to hear rang through the room, a flatline.

They tried everything they could, but Sal crumbled to the ground when the time of death was announced.

He was gone, Larry was really gone.

Despite the tears flowing down his own face, he managed to get Sal out of the room so the doctors could finish doing what they needed to and brought him back to their private room.

Ash and Todd broke out into their own sobbing fits when they saw the state Sal was in. They knew what had happened at that point.

Neil managed to collect himself despite the tears still flowing down his face when the doctor walked in.

"I'm sorry for your loss," the doctor said, "you may go say your goodbyes to him if you wish."

Sal didn't hesitate to run out of the room and into Larry's room, rushing over and sitting on the bed.

"Larry I swear you better open your eyes, this isn't funny!" Sal said, placing his hands on Larry's face. "Larry...please..." nothing. "Don't leave me, Lar..." Sal layed his head against Larry's chest and sobbed. "You fucking asshole...you promised!"

The rest of the group walked in, saying their goodbyes to Larry as well before Lisa and Henry walked in, signaling that it was Ash, Todd, and Neil's turn to leave.

"You two can go wait in the car if you want, I'll wait for Sal," Ash offered, waiting outside the door while Todd and Neil left crying.

Sal looked up at Lisa, "I'm so sorry, Lisa...I-I tried to save him..."

Lisa tried to hold back her tears as she pulled Sal into a hug, to no avail as Sal cried into her shoulder. She rubbed his back, "I know, Sal. It's okay. There was nothing more you could've done."

He let go so Lisa could properly say goodbye to her son and went into the comforting grasp of his father.

"He's gone, Dad..." Sal sobbed into his father's chest and Henry must held him close.

"Its going to be okay, kiddo. We'll get through this."

After a while, Sal decided that he couldn't stand to be in the room anymore. Lisa and Henry promised that they would take care of the paperwork, and Ash led Sal out to the car so they could all go home.

The house felt quiet, empty, just a place that Sal didn't want to be. Gizmo walked over to Sal and allowed the boy to pick him up and hold him close. Sal unclipped his mask and placed it on the table so he could nuzzle his head into Gizmos fur.

He didn't want to be there, and he didn't know what to do. His boyfriend, the light of his life was gone. The realization didn't hit until then. Larry would never hug or kiss him again. He would never draw or paint a picture for him again. They would never headbang to music ever again. They would never play music together ever again.

He started sobbing all over again, and Ash placed her hand on his shoulder. "Maybe you should sleep here tonight, did you want to spend the night at my house?" She offered.

Sal just nodded and Ash pulled him into a hug, being careful to not crush Gizmo who was still sitting in Sal's arms and showed no signs of moving.

Neil decided to help and pack Sal's bag for him so he didn't have to enter the room, making sure to put some of Gizmo's things in there as well so Sal could take him with him.

"Here Sal, text us if you need anything," Neil said, Todd nodding in response.

And with that, Sal left with Ash, not knowing what to do anymore. His world was crashing down around him.