Dream No More

Damn, I knew I should have put some pants on, at least my jeans, oh well. I walked to the door, as I gathered up my thoughts and then I opened the door, it was my daughters and my son. I ran my hand down my face, I was a little tired at the moment, but not bad.

"Dad?" Toni blurted out to me, Sami covered her eyes and Joey, just stood there in shock, I let them all in Denise's apartment and they sat on the couch, I walked back into the bedroom, where Denise was, and I put something more appropriate to wear, I put my boxers, jeans and my shirt back on, from a few hours ago, I sort of stink, oh well, not now man, your kids are in the other room, waiting for you to come back, and talk to them, hopefully they are okay.

"What's going on?" Denise sat up in bed, I was rushing to put my shoes on.

"My kids are here." I wonder why they came to see me.

"Can I met them?" I don't know if that's a good idea.

"You want to?" if you do, it will be okay with me.

"Yeah, I mean, they are your kids, I like kids, well they are in their 20s but yeah why not." ok then, Denise spends the last ten minutes, getting out of bed and making herself more presentable, I walked into the living room to see the kids, they were all still waiting for me.

"Kids, there's someone I want you to meet." as I said that Denise walked into the living room, all of the kids looked at Denise and then to me, they suddenly got quiet amongst themselves, Denise walked over to me and we both smiled softly, there was a loveseat across the big beat-up couch, where the kids were sitting down on, I looked at Denise and then down to her hand and I looked into her eyes, I took her hand in mine and Denise looked back at me.

"Kids, this is Denise, let me tell you all something, she won't ever replace you or your mom in my life, this is a new chapter in my life, you all will have a special place in my heart, don't be upset this is happening, whatever happened between your mom and I, is between her and I, but I will always love each and every one of you, do you guys understand me?" Toni smiled at me, see I knew she would understand, she is my oldest out of the three kids.

"Yeah dad, I understand, you have found new love and you seem happier." aw thanks kid.

"Thank you, Toni, that is exactly what I needed to hear from you." the other two kids, just sat there in shock, still. come on kids, cheer up for me.

"Joey, Sami, is there something you would want to say?" still no talking but silence.

"Your dad isn't mad at you; he just wants you all to open up to him." I guess Denise didn't know what to say but that, I do thank her for saying something nice like that.

"Thank you, I can't speak for my brother and sister, but we appreciate that." I looked at Denise and smiled at her, Toni smiled at both Denise and I, we all just sat there in silence again.

"Do you have any coffee?" Joey finally spoke, Denise smiled at Joey.

"Yeah, sure, I will give you decaf, since it's in the middle of the night." Denise got off the couch and went into the kitchen, to make the coffee, I stood up for a moment.

"Guys, I will be right back." I walked into the kitchen, where Denise was, she turned around for a moment, and I gave her hug and a kiss, then we both smiled, and we both thought for a moment, as I realized the kids were still in the living room alone, by themselves.

"Everything will be okay, coffee smells great." I gave Denise a last kiss, before I went into the living room where the kids were still, they were all quiet, which I thought was strange, soon after Denise bought out a few coffee mugs, with milk and the coffee pot, she placed it on the table.

"Thanks." Joey grabbed himself a coffee mug and put milk in the mug, then the coffee.

"Nothing too crazy, just plain coffee, sometimes, I have my coffee black." I smirked at Denise.

"Me too." Denise blushed, Sami and Toni grabbed mugs too and poured themselves some coffee, I just sat back and watched them all drink coffee, thank God Denise doesn't own one of those fancy coffee machines, to me, coffee is coffee, those other drinks are high priced and sort of disgusting to me, but that's my own opinion, I looked over my shoulder and Denise smiled at me, and then the kids, I wrapped my arm around Denise's waist and held her close to me.

"Are you guys in college?" all of the kids, smiled and nodded yes.

"Yes." Toni took a sip of her coffee, for the tenth time, in the last minute, jeez that kid drinks a lot of coffee, I try not to, but I mostly drink tea or water, trying to stay away from the booze.