13.

📍Houston Detention Center 

"Byron Lance." Key heard before the metal door buzzed open.

"Hi.." Kierra waved as she sat down at a table set up in the visitation room.

"I missed you, you haven't been answering my calls."

Key stared at her dad across the table and sighed.

"Aren't you tired of coming here?" She asked.

"Baby girl I-"

"Because I'm tired of coming here to see you. You've been in and out since I was three, Rio."

His jaw clenched, hearing her call him that.

"Watch how you speaking to me, I'm your father."

Key scoffed, "Barely.."

Byron slammed his hand on the table.

"Why you acting like imma absent ass parent? I did my best to be there for you and BJ."

"Did you really?" She scoffed. "Slanging drugs, killing folks, and whatever else you do is doing the best for us?"

"You not understanding, Key. That's all a nigga knew how to do." He expressed.

"I feel like you obviously don't know how to do it well if you keep getting caught and ending up here.."

Key could see that she was getting under his skin per usual.

"Ight.. how you been?"

She let out a laugh, "That's what you gon ask? Do you know what tomorrow is?"

Byron knew.

"That's why I asked you to come see me, Key." He gave her a sad smile, and took her hand into his.

Suddenly, tears began to fall from Key's eyes.

"I miss her, and I miss you.." she told him as she wiped her eyes.

Byron looked to the guard for permission to further touch her then stood up to sit by her.

"I know, baby."

"It's been three years and I still feel the same, like I can't get over it." She said.

"Ion it's something we just get over, Key.. the pain gon always be there, that's yo mama and my wife."

She felt his big arms engulf her, before she melted into his frame.

"I'm sorry for how I talked to you.." she said.

"It's fine, me and BJ done exchanged the same words a few times."

"Yea, but you're right the streets is the only thing you know.. but I also feel like you can leave. Maybe just invest the money you have to continue to make more, you have more than enough money to leave."

She watched as he shook his head.

"It's not that easy, Key."

"So what happens when your luck runs out, and your lawyer can't get you a quick sentence? This doesn't make sense."

"Ight Key, this conversation not getting anywhere." He sighed.

"Clearly.." she shook her head, but still held her grip on him.

The two talked about random things as they tried to avoid the main problem between them.

"How's Ace?"