six

.・。.・゜..・。.・゜.

Alyara and Lo'ak were walking along the sand, close to the water. Alyara was looking down at her hands while she played with a short, thin piece of rope and a few beads that Neytiri gave her.

"What are you doing?" Lo'ak leaned his body more toward her to see what she was working on. Alyara quickly covered the rope and beads with one hand so he wouldn't see.

"You don't get to see until I'm done." Alyara took a few steps to the right which was further away from Lo'ak. He also took a few steps to the right and continued walking next to her.

"Is it a fish?" Lo'ak questioned as he started guessing what was small enough to be in her hands and what she could be keeping a secret.

Alyara looked up at him with a straight face. "You think I would be here walking with you if I had a pet fish?" She went back to looking down at her hands and going back to what she was doing.

"You would choose to hang out with a fish over me?" Lo'ak asked, truly wondering if she was being sarcastic or truthful. 

Alyara rolled her head to the side and gave him a look that said her answer was obvious. "No, Lo'ak. I would prefer you over a fish. There's a billion fish and only one you." She always had a way with words when it came to reassuring him. She didn't use the simple sentence of reassurance, but she went out of her way and had her own way of making him feel good.

"Good because it's embarrassing to be ranked under a fish." Lo'ak played off his short worry and went back to his carefree personality.

"I still want a pet fish though. You should get me one." She glanced up at him for a second before going back to her hands.

"For what occasion?"

"For being your best friend after fourteen years and following you everywhere you go without leaving you." Alyara suggested. "That deserves an award doesn't it?"

"I'll consider it." Lo'ak responded, but he could see himself in a few hours swimming in the water and looking for a fish that he could see Alyara loving as a pet. 

"Really?" Alyara's brightened up when he didn't turn down her fish request like usual.

"I said I would consider. Don't be expecting to see a fish in a bowl tonight." Lo'ak made sure not to get her hopes up.

"I'll name it after you if you get me a fish." Alyara offered up and shook Lo'ak's arm. "Wouldn't that be cool? My best friend, Lo'ak and then my pet fish.. Lo."

"Lo?" A smile threatened to show up on his lips.

"Lo. Short for Lo'ak. Lo'ak without the 'ak." Alyara explained. "Get it? Or I could name it Ak, but that's not as cute as Lo."

"What if I decide to get a fish and want to name it after you? What name would I give to that fish?" Lo'ak asked.

"Yara. Ara. Ra. Al. Aly. Alya." Alyara listed off without having to think about it. "Loads of names. Better than your short four lettered name."

"Hey-" Whatever Lo'ak was about to say was cut short but the sound of Ao'nung's voice.

"... these hands.  I mean, look at them.." Lo'ak didn't hesitate before walking over to Ao'nung where he was holding Kiri's hand, about to raise her five fingered hand just like Ronal did to Lo'ak when they first met.

"Hey!" Alyara quickly dropped her rope and beads in shallow hole in the sand before running after Lo'ak. "Back off, fish lips." Her lips quirked up at the nickname.