|- 1 -|

"Run!" Her stern command echoed across the field like a sharp knife cutting through a thick steak

"Don't let me down, Collins!"

The blast of her whistle shrieked into my ears, jolting me awake like a drill sergeant in the ear of a soldier commanding I stand "At atten-TION!"

I sprinted faster. And harder. Until my legs felt like limp pieces of frozen jello. Yet, I maintained my momentum, fighting against Earth's gravity.

Sucking in a ragged breath, I eyed the distance between me and the finish line. I was inching closer. And closer. Sweat beads trail a line down my face like water droplets dripping from a leaky faucet.

Coach Abrams stood ahead, determined to see me cross the finish line and land in none other than first place. Shielding her eyes from Arizona's scorching summer sun with black shades, I could feel her razor-sharp gaze piercing into me.

However, as I expected, I came in second place, trailing only behind Arizona's most prolific runner– my best friend, Kennedy.

Crossing the white finish line hit me like a ton of bricks- the race was done, and I came in second place. Not too shabby, if I shall say so myself.

Kneeling, I rested my hands on my knees, taking deep breaths to regain my composure after one of the most challenging runs I had ever endured.

This race held immense significance because scouts from various colleges were in attendance, as each of us in the race carried big dreams that many aspiring high school athletes had: the pursuit of a full-ride scholarship and the prospect of recognition.

"Collins, seriously!" Coach Abrams exclaimed as she threw her hands up, her frustration evident, "You were so close!"

I shrugged, trying to catch my breath. "I gave it my all, coach."

Kennedy Marshall was not just my best friend but also my fiercest competitor. Our paths initially crossed in seventh grade during track and field tryouts. Both of us were confident and driven, possessing the qualities needed to excel in the sport. However, Kennedy quickly surged ahead, leaving the rest of us in her dust. She soon became Arizona's most sought-after and prolific runner, boasting truly impressive stats.

I wiped my forehead with a damp towel and settled onto the bench beneath one of the sprawling trees in our field's shade. The towel absorbed the summer sun's heat but still offered some relief.

I spotted Kennedy running my way, her hands waving wildly in the air. "I did it, Kayla!" she shouted in pure joy.

"I'm so happy for you!" I shouted back as she wrapped her arms around me, squeezing me tightly. Although we were both sweaty, we were too caught up in the excitement to care.

"You were awesome, too, Kayla!" Kennedy smiled. "You're one of the best!"

"Thanks!" I replied, reciprocating her smile.