|-33-|

I stood in the kitchen on Friday morning with Brianna, whipping up waffles and eggs for breakfast. The night before, we agreed that we were both tired of eating the cafe's waffles and food in general. Sometimes, the eggs didn't even taste like eggs, and the pancakes tasted like cardboard. Since Brianna and I both loved to cook, we agreed to collaborate on a Saturday morning breakfast so we could finally eat real food.

"Pass me the almond milk, please," I asked Brianna, eyeing the almond milk sitting on the counter in front of her.

Stifling a yawn, she replied, "Sure." Handing me the fresh carton of almond milk I purchased from the grocery store the day before. I poured it into my iced mocha. Stirring it, I then picked up the cold jar and took a sip.

The delectable scent of my chocolate mocha and vanilla iced coffee mingled together and drifted through the air, making my stomach rumble and my mouth water.

"Perfecto!" I announced, licking my lips.

"You're the best barista in this house." Brianna smiled, "You might be able to teach those girls down at the cafe a thing or two."

I laughed.

Suddenly, we heard the lock on the front door click. My heart jumped, and my gaze shifted, eyes glued to the door. The other sorority girls were sleeping, so the house was eerily quiet, and the fact that someone was opening our door rattled my consciousness like a police siren alerting me to danger.

"Who's that?" Brianna asked her expression a mix of confusion and concern.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

With our eyes glued to the door, we watched until we saw Patricia stroll inside. I breathed out a sigh of relief, my shoulders falling. She was carrying a bag of groceries as she made her way in. Using her foot to close the door behind her, she slammed it shut.

"Hey, Patricia!" Brianna greeted, "You're up early."

"Yeah, I had to do some grocery shopping for the pool party this afternoon."

Brianna's eyes widened, and she gazed over at Kennedy, "A pool party in the midst of winter?!"

"Uh, yes!" Patricia replied in a sarcastic tone as she set the bag of groceries on the countertop, " It's gonna be eighty degrees today. So I thought, why not take advantage and host a pool party?!" She shrugged, "Oh, and sorry for the late word."

"California weather is so strange!" Brianna complained.

"I like it. It's better than the one-hundred-twenty-degree weather I had to contend with in Arizona." I said while plugging in the waffle iron.

"What time's the party?" Brianna asked as she stirred the scrambled eggs in the buttery pan.

"At 2:00 today."

I peeked over at the clock on the wall.

9:46 A.M.

Thankfully, I had plenty of time to get ready, put on a fresh pair of clothing, and brush my hair.

"So, who's all coming to the party?" I inquired with curious eyes.

Patricia opened the gray cabinet and stuffed a few boxes of Betty Crocker cake mix into it. Then she turned toward me, "A bunch of people!" She replied.

"Like who?" Brianna inquired while she poured the scrambled eggs into a dish.

"Mark, Kennedy, Steve, Cooper, and a few of the frat guys." Patricia began, "Oh, and my sister, Monique."

"Monique?!" My eyes widened.

"Cooper?!" Brianna exclaimed, her face contorting in disgust, "Do you know he scared the shit out of me at the Winter Ball with his crazed antics?!"