|-8-|

I was relieved that the police had ruled Brianna's injuries as accidental. That meant I wouldn't have to serve time in the jailhouse, and Brianna would be back to her old self in a few days with the assistance of a few pain pills.

Thankfully, my sorority sisters weren't upset with me. I thought my dreams of being a sorority girl were over. It's not that I wanted to be in the sorority; I just saw it as an opportunity to meet Monique, one-half of the podcasters. Since her sister was in my sorority, what better chance would arise than that?

"Mistakes happen." Sabrina reassured me, "We know you didn't mean any harm." She smiled.

"Thanks for understanding." 

"And we really shouldn't have done what we did." Sabrina said apologetically, "It wasn't the best idea for an initiation."

I kept a low profile over the next few days until one Friday night, Lorena dragged me with her to the bar. We had just finished our finals, and Lorena needed a night out to celebrate. She had sent me a text message earlier in the day, requesting my presence with her at one of the local bars downtown.

Lorena: Let's go to the bar tonight!.. Use our fake IDs and Celebrate the end of our finals.

Me: I'm down! 😁

Lorena: Cool! We're gonna be 21 tonight.  🍻 See ya later.

We strolled through the streets of downtown Irvine, looking for a place to celebrate. I wore my pink halter dress since it was predicted to be almost one hundred degrees out. Lorena opted for a white mini-skirt with a light green chiffon blouse.

We peeked into various bars as we mingled through the streets. There were so many to choose from, but one in particular caught our eyes as music blasted from the open doors.

"Let's check this place out!" Lorena's eyes widened with excitement. "Sounds like a lot of fun is happening in there."

I pulled the door open, and we both walked in. Lorena immediately hit the dance floor while I went to have a seat at the bar.

"What can I get you?" A woman with a tattered red shirt and a high ponytail asked. 

"I'll take a Jack and Coke, please."

"Coming right up."

I sat there, surveying the room. A few other patrons were scattered around, but the place wasn't crowded. Across from me, an elderly man in a leather vest caught my attention. With his full sleeve of tattoos, he looked like a former biker. I watched as he chugged down a bottle of beer.

The bartender set my Jack and Coke in front of me. I brought the glass up to my lips and took a gentle sip. The potent liquid flowed down my throat, and I squeezed my eyes tight, enduring the pain. I wasn't too fond of alcohol, but I had to admit it did make me a little less angsty. 

Lorena made her way to the bar, "Can I please get a Vodka with cranberry?" she asked the bartender.

"Coming right up!" 

"So, ya having fun?" Lorena asked me with sweat bullets dripping down her forehead. 

"Yeah, it's pretty nice," I replied. 

"Come out on the dancefloor! It's even better." She laughed. 

I shook my head, "I'll pass."

The bartender set Lorena's Vodka down on the counter. Lorena grabbed it, gulping the liquid. Then, with a slam, she set the empty glass down and ran back onto the dancefloor.