|-32-|

"I want to get this investigation over with once and for all," I whispered to Brianna as we stood near the towering shelves in the campus library. The scent of book pages filled the air, wrapping me in a comfort I had once thought alluded me. Though our reason for being there was less than comforting.

"Quite honestly, this investigation is a waste!" Brianna replied confidently, "If Steve were such a bad person, how'd he get into college?" She questioned, folding her arms across her chest.

"What do you mean?" I furrowed my brows.

"Criminals are not allowed to enroll in college. If he had a felony or heck, I think even a misdemeanor, he would not be allowed to enroll." Brianna explained.

"Oh, I see." I stood there, pondering. 

"Maybe he wasn't convicted in the court of law because he had a very good attorney that got him off," I suggested.

"We can't hold that against him. If he didn't get convicted, we must treat him as the courts did- innocent." 

"Doesn't mean he's not a dangerous man, though." I protested. 

Brianna rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Look, if we don't find any convictions or other criminal cases, we can stamp Steve's imaginary folder 'case closed," I informed. 

"Sounds good." Brianna commented, "Did I tell you I'm the best investigator ever?" She informed, her eyes signaling a hint of mischief. "I helped one of my friends back home in Louisiana find the girl her boyfriend was cheating on her with. You should've seen his face when she confronted him." She laughed, the sound echoing softly between the rows of books.

"You were there?" I asked, furrowing my brows.

"No, but my friend recorded it for me." Brianna giggled.

Soon, Greta, the librarian, strolled a cart full of books near us. Her big foggy bifocals hung low over her nose.

"Hi, girls." She greeted in a professional tone, "Lots of studying to do?"

Brianna and I both nodded.

"See you girls around." She said, strolling the cart down the narrow hallway.

I reached into my backpack, pulling out the copies of the news article detailing Steve's court case. The edge of the papers crisp against my fingertips.

"Here." I handed the copies to Brianna. "Read these." She grabbed them and immediately bent her head, eyes glued to the paper as she read.

"It clearly states here that it was self-defense, Kayla." She held the paper up, pointing to the article. "Why would you even have to do an investigation?" She asked, gazing into my eyes with a confused stare.

"I just want to ensure there aren't any more criminal records out there," I replied.

"Why?" Brianna asked again, "It doesn't matter. He's not in jail or prison now and probably never has been. It appears it was self-defense, and his attorney got him off."

"You can't be too sure," I argued.

"Look, I've got access to criminal records for any individual who has been charged with any crime in the United States." Brianna began, "I can request a scan of his name, and we'll see what it comes back with."

"Will you get in trouble?" I inquired, my eyes widened.

Brianna nodded, "No, as long as you keep this secret between me and you." she smirked.

***

Walking through the university's corridor, I scanned the area nervously, my eyes darting to the large trees and bushes that lined the yard. Every rustle of leaves made my heart race. Just as I turned my head towards footsteps approaching me from behind the bushes, a hand clamped down on my shoulder. I gasped, losing my breath as my heart dropped into my stomach.