|-13-|

My gaze swept across the parking lot, ensuring any suspicious individuals weren't watching us. 

"Wait here for the forensics team and Investigator Johnson to arrive." Officer Gonzales instructed. "They'll be here in no time. I gotta go on an emergent call."

"The call that just came through?" I inquired.

He nodded with curious eyes, "Yes. Why?" He started, "Something you want to tell me?"

When I overheard the operator dispatching the message, informing Officer Gonzales of a nineteen-year-old girl being hauled away, it rattled my intuition and shook me to my core. My thoughts immediately flooded with images of Lorena being hauled away by the Crimson Lake Killer. Fearing for her safety, I informed him of Lorena's precarious situation.

"Officer Gonzales, my friend Lorena's car broke down on Highway 12." I explained, my voice trembling, "I'm worried that the operator might be referring to her." I explained, "She called me just an hour ago, letting me know a stranger had parked right behind her. Considering how dark and desolate that road is,  she was scared. What if it's the Crimson Lake Killer?"

His eyes widened, and I could sense the fear residing within him, the fear that it was indeed a possibility.

"Don't worry," he reassured me. "I'm sure everything is alright with your friend." Despite his attempt to comfort me, his expression betrayed his uncertainty; he was just as terrified as I was.

With a sense of urgency, he jumped into his patrol car and ignited the engine. With a deafening roar, he sped down the dimly lit road, sirens illuminating the night with flashing blue and red lights as he vanished into the distance.

All alone in the dark and empty parking lot, I stood there impatiently awaiting the arrival of the forensics team. The silence felt heavy and eerie. Gazing around, I tried to shake off the uneasy feeling that crept over me. Then, suddenly, the quietness was shattered by the sound of a loud exhaust pipe. My heart raced, thumping against my ribcage as I spotted a flashy sports car zoom into view, its headlights piercing the darkness.

Quickly, I ducked behind a blue car, seeking cover. My palms pressed into the gravel pavement, and my breathing became labored. I felt my diaphragm rising and falling.

Trying to control my breathing, I kneeled and slowly crawled to the other side of the car, ensuring I kept myself hidden and out of view.

I slightly rose to my feet but still kneeled as I placed my hands on the hood of the car and peeked over it.

My eyes landed on the shiny sports car. I gazed into the windshield, trying to spot the drivers. Squinting to see better, I couldn't believe my eyes- Patricia and Mark were the ones in the car.

"Mark?!" I muttered, stunned.

What the heck was Mark doing behind the wheel of a sports car, with Patricia riding shotgun?

He slammed on his brakes and swerved into the nearest parking stall.

That was so unlike Mark. He was a cautious driver and mature for his age compared to most of the other nineteen-year-old guys I knew.

With my gaze still fixed on them, I watched as he and Patricia exited the vehicle. Patricia could barely walk. She appeared drunk as she leaned onto Mark for support. He wrapped his arm around her waist, appearing as if she were his girlfriend.

A tinge of jealousy coursed through me, but I quickly shook it off.

Mark wasn't even my type. He was certainly my friend, so why was I suddenly feeling jealous?