|-24-|

My hands trembled, nervous about Steve's rising temper. He seemed angry as he stood on my doorstep, refusing to accept my excuse for not accompanying him to investigate John's shack. 

He soon mellowed out, taking a deep breath to calm himself down.

"Steve, if I could, I would," I explained. "But as I said, I'm super busy."

Steve's gaze fell to the floor. "I'm really concerned for you, Kayla," he said, his lips curving into a frown. "Ever since you told me about the Crimson Lake Killer targeting you, I can't stop thinking about it. I'm terrified for you."

Steve seemed genuinely concerned, but I wasn't one hundred percent sure. It could all be an act, for all I know.

I pursed my lips. "Steve, that means a lot, but I'm going to be alright," I nodded, reassuring him.

He shrugged disappointedly, "Alright, well, I guess I'll head out to that shack all by myself." Steve turned away, strolling back down the pavement and to his car.

"Good luck!" I waved.

***

The sun's rays peeked through the gloomy clouds as I wandered around campus, headed to the cafe to satisfy the hungry pangs that were rumbling in my stomach when I bumped into Patricia and Brianna.

"Hey, Kayla!" they greeted in unison.

"Hi, guys!" I waved as they approached with a bouquet of flowers and a pink helium balloon tied around Brianna's wrist.

Both were bright, cheerful, and happy. I wondered what the special occasion was.

"We wanted to personally deliver an invitation to the Winter Ball to you, our beloved sorority sister," Patricia said, her smile brimming with excitement.

I gasped, my hand flying to cover my mouth in sheer giddiness. Joining the sorority had become the highlight of my college experience. Surrounded by these amazing girls, I felt a warmth and acceptance that I hadn't known before, especially being miles away from Mom. They were like a second family to me, and it filled a void I hadn't realized was there.

Brianna reached out to me, handing over a black envelope sealed with a snowglobe sticker, followed by the bouquet along with the snazzy pink balloon.

"Oh my gosh, thank you so much!" I exclaimed, inhaling the sweet fragrance of the flowers and admiring them.

I removed the sticker and lifted the flap, pulling out the glossy invitation with embossed lettering.

To: Kayla, our sorority sister!

From: Your Alpha Sigma Chi Sisterhood

You are cordially invited to the annual Winter Ball of Alpha Sigma Chi on Saturday, January 30th. Please feel free to bring a guest. We look forward to celebrating with you!

A thrill of excitement ran through me.

The Alpha Sigma Chi Winter Ball would be the perfect night to finally have some relief from the constant dread that's been enveloping me. An escape from the fearful thoughts that kept the anxiety brewing within. This would be an opportunity for me to finally let loose, and have some fun—something I haven't done in a while, and I couldn't wait. I knew was in to have the time of my life.

***

Later that afternoon, I slipped into one of the student study rooms, isolating myself from the chaotic world around me so I could start my investigation into Steve. The criminal record Lorena shared with me had been tattooed on my brain ever since and I needed to know the truth- the cold hard truth.

Removing my backpack from my shoulders, I placed it on the desk in front of me and pulled out my laptop. Settling into one of the leather chairs, I got comfy as I placed my blue-rimmed eyeglasses over my face.

Flipping open my laptop, I clicked on the search icon and typed in Sarasota Florida News Steve Gregory

The timer icon spun, and then it loaded the results.

The direct website to ABC7 WWSB was the first result to appear. I grasped the mouse and, using my pointer finger, double-clicked on the link.

The page opened, and I felt an emptiness in the pit of my stomach. I hoped Steve's supposed criminal record was a mix-up and that he didn't commit those crimes. Or maybe I was naive and didn't want to believe it.

I decided to search the ABC7 news site, hoping that they had stored information about past crimes that made the news. Typing his name into the keyboard, an unsettling feeling drifted over me: Steve Gregory

With a trembling finger, I pressed the enter button. The soft click echoed, disrupting the silence in the room.

The timer icon spun like a violent tornado as I nervously awaited the results.

Steve Gregory Convicted of Assault with a Deadly Weapon

My heart plummeted into the depths of my stomach like a rock being thrown into the seas of murky waters.

Without further thought, I immediately clicked on the link.

Anxiously, I read through the article with a whirlwind of thoughts storming through my mind.

Steve Gregory's attorney, Dave Sanford, claims that his client is innocent and was only defending himself and his cousin, Kennedy, from an attacker who was trying to violently break into his family's home in Sarasota.

What?! 

Kennedy was nearly attacked; why had I never known about that? It seemed strange. Kennedy always shared everything with me. But when I came to think of it, she never told me that Steve was her cousin. Then again, she didn't have to because I didn't even know Steve. I had just recently met him one night while I was out barhopping with Lorena.

I refocused on the details written in the article. I came to the conclusion that I was right after all; it was self-defense.

Steve never struck me as a killer. My next step was to inform Lorena. She had to know.

I copied the link and pasted it to a new email message using my wavemail.com account. I then composed a message:

Hey Lorena,

Check out the news article pasted in the body of this email.

Steve was only protecting himself and Kennedy from a violent attacker. I knew it had to be self-defense because Steve doesn't strike me as a violent person.

I wrapped the message up and shot the email off to Lorena. I knew it would calm her nerves and move my investigation off from Steve and on to our real culprit, John and possibly Patricia.