|-6-|

It was spirit week, and Lorena and I donned our Cal State Irvine t-shirts as we ventured through campus. The air buzzed with the excited voices of other college students, entertained by the plethora of games and food trucks spread throughout the area.

Various students volunteered, opting to work as attendants at the multiple booths, offering up games to play with enticing rewards. I spotted a basketball game, and though Lorena was reluctant to play, I, however, had a nagging desire to, especially with the reward being a $100 gift card to our bookstore. I literally couldn't afford to miss out on that.

"Come one, come all!" The attendant at the booth yelled as if he were a county fair barker, "Take your shot! Get a chance to win a one-hundred-dollar gift card for any textbook of your choice!" His voice boomed as his bald head shone against the afternoon's sun.

Just as Lorena and I made our way to the front of the game, a taller man quickly appeared before us, beating us to the game.

"Hey!" Lorena's eyebrows dived inward while she crossed her arms across her chest, "What do you think you're doing?!" She inquired angrily.

The man turned around, facing us, and I instantly recognized him.

"Cooper!" I exclaimed.

"Hey guys!" He smiled nervously, "Did I do something wrong?"

"You cut in front of us!" Lorena complained.

"Oh, my bad." Cooper said apologetically, "You ladies go right on ahead." He gestured to us in an usher-like move as if welcoming us onto a red carpet.

Lorena and I moved forward.

"Welcome, fellow Cal State comrades!" The booth attendant greeted us, shifting his gaze from Lorena to me.

"I'll be playing one game," I informed him, pulling a five-dollar bill out of the pocket of my jeans and handing it over to him.

"For $5, you can play five games."

"I'm only going to play one tonight," I replied, awaiting the return of four dollars.

The attendant placed the five-dollar bill in his pouch and then retrieved four one-dollar bills and handed them to me.

"Thanks!" I said as I grabbed my change from him.

He handed me the basketball, "Alright, so you get a total of ten chances with one game. If you get all ten baskets, you win a one-hundred-dollar gift card to our campus library. If you get five baskets, you get a fifty-dollar gift card to our campus library." The attendant explained.

I nodded as I held the basketball in my hands and eyed the white net before me. I remained focused and concentrated, determined to win the one-hundred-dollar gift card.

"You can do it!" Lorena cheered, "You're an athlete, after all."

"Kayla! Kayla! Kayla!" Cooper cheered, which actually distracted me more than anything.

I held the ball up, aiming for the hoop. As I threw it into the air, I watched as it bounced against the rim causing a moment of angst. Then it slid into the basket. I threw my hands up in the air excitedly.

"Yay!" Lorena cheered.

"Woo-hoo!!" Cooper shouted.

Steadying the ball in my grip, I fixed my eyes on the basket once more. Throwing the ball into the air, I aimed once again.

"Wow, Kayla! You're a pro." Lorena exclaimed cheerfully.

I laughed, "Not really."

"Well, you're definitely good at this game," Cooper commented.