Chapter 7

「my pov」
Rin and I were out of the building and we started to walk into the busier part of town next to each other. "Where are we going?" I questioned looking down at the sidewalk. "just walking and we can go anywhere when we get into the busier parts of the academy" Rin answered while kicking up dirt with his boot. I nodded. Other students were looking at me, "it's because I'm the new girl," I assured to myself. We kept walking closer into the academy. More students started appearing and the sidewalks started becoming more crowded. One of these crowds was going the opposite direction that Rin and I were going and they wouldn't move. It was like a game of chicken, but only we see who moves out of the way first, only Rin and I had to move out of the way. During that gesture my hand swept on his and even if it was so cliché of a movement, it left my face feeling hot. "Stupid students won't move," Rin muttered while we started to get away from the ground and back onto the sidewalk. At the time I could only mutter "Mm-hmm," through tightly clenched teeth. "Oh crap," Rin started looking at a building that I recognized from yesterday. "Remind me on the way back to stop here," Rin said while he started walking again. I was confused but I just nodded and we continued. Finally after walking in pretty awkward silence, we made it to the store. "What do you even need here?" I said while walking into the air conditioned store, following Rin. "Yukio said for me to get some things on this list," Rin said while pulling out a crumpled list from his pocket. He grabbed a basket and then started walking, I caught up to him so that I was next to him and not behind him. He started to grab cans and other things off the shelves and I started to wander and look at other things. I had my back turned on Rin until I heard a loud bang, the noise of rolling cans, and "shit," coming from Rin's voice . I turned around and there were cans rolling all over, along with a crooked shelf. Rin looked at me with big eyes. The good thing was it was only us in that part of the store. I started to laugh and Rin joined in, from his own embarrassment. We started to pick up the rolling cans before they got too far. After a while I finished picking up the cans and Rin partially fixed the shelf. We finished with half throwing the cans onto the shelf and we fast-walked over to the next isle. We were still laughing because we didn't even know how that happened. After finishing shopping we self-checked out. Walking out of the store as quickly as possible, we made it out into the hot sun with our two plastic bags. It was about noon so we got hungry. "We should go eat at this new restaurant up the road before I break anything else," Rin said shaking his head and laughing. "Sounds fine," I said with a small laugh. I started to walk up the road with Rin. We were just talking about whatever came to mind to pass time. Soon enough we got to this new restaurant, which turned out to be a steakhouse. So we just ordered the same thing and ate in peace, still continuing to talk about whatever came to mind. I learned a lot about him and his past like how he was adopted and how his "dad" died. I told him how life was like in my country and how my trip was to get over here. After finishing I put my money on the table to pay for my meal, but Rin put it back in my hands. "But-," I began but he cut me off by saying, "It's on me," and he put down money that covered the both of us. I wasn't looking to fight with someone on the first full day, so I just shut up. We left the restaurant and started to walk back. We strolled back the same way we came. I stopped and pointed at the building Rin wanted me to remind him to stop at earlier. "You wanted to stop here," I said looking at the building. "Oh yeah, I totally forgot, Yukio would've killed me if we forgot to go here so it's a good thing you're here.," Rin said walking into the building. I quickly ran up the pale stone stairs behind him, once I entered the air conditioning bit my skin and the smell of books flooded my nose.
"Why are we here?" I whispered while following behind Rin. "Yukio wanted this book thing for a project. He didn't say much about it," Rin said while trying to read the book's title off a crumpled post-it. Walking past all the sections of books, I saw that there was actually a ton of books here. Some students were working at desks, not bothering to look up from their work. Finally, after searching for 20 minutes we found a huge book that had something to do with History, but he still checked it out for Yukio regardless of why he would need it.