Chapter Seventeen

Castle's P.O.V

There was only one light on throughout the whole house. Castle soundlessly walked around the side of the house, gun in hand. Yes he was prepared to murder for Beckett if it came to it. Luckily, he didn't have to. Castle was ordered to bring Callaway to a bar on the corner of 9th and 12th. He assumed if worse came to worse he could threaten him with a gun, which was not loaded. The last thing he wanted to do was take an innocent man's life.
Though he did have a knife in his boot, just in case. After he brings him there who ever took Beckett should be there with her. They would swap, Jared Callaway for Kate, and then both would leave without another word. But there was a trick. Castle had to work for him from then on to keep Kate safe. What he had to do, he didn't know but if he refused he assured Castle there wouldn't be a place in the  entire world that Castle could hide Kate and protect her. He would kill her if he didn't do this. By the hard chill in his voice he didn't think twice about him kidding. But at least Beckett would be with him which was a hell of a lot safer then where she was right now.

Castle's jacket was already sticking to his skin in the hot summer night as he kept closer to the only window with with a light. He crouched low, right under the window sill and listened. The only thing he could hear were the crickets coming from the back yard. Castle was about to peak through, when the window suddenly went flying up. Castle froze holding his breath.

It's over. He can see me.

But only a second went by before Castle heard retreating foot steps.
He the carefully looked inside and watched as a white haired man in slacks and a button down shirt, head up stairs to the second floor. He sighed, relieved that Callaway didn't see him. Slowly, he climbed through the window, steadying his arms against the floor, jumping up and squeezing through. It was a really tight fit. The gun dug painfully into his back and he struggled not to make a sound as he took ahold of it and tries to pull it out of his pants. It was wedged between him and the window and it wasn't going anywhere. Castle panicked. The longer it took him to get free the less time it would be before Callaway would come down the stairs and see him. Finally he stopped trying to get the gun free and balanced himself on one hand while pushing up the window more with the other and slipped through. He got off his hands and knees and surveyed the place. There was a couch facing a fireplace and a flat screen TV above it. There were some pictures on the shelve between them. Before Castle could look he heard a click... of a gun.

" You picked the wrong house to rob."

Castle turned around with his hands in the air and sure enough Jared Callaway was on the bottom steps holding a shotgun aimed at his head.

Shit.

Callaway's eyes widened and he slowly lowered his gun his mouth partly open. It looked like he couldn't believe what he was seeing. Castle stared back in confusion. Why was he looking at him like he knew who he was?

"Richard?" He asked in a gruff voice.

What?

"How do you know my name?" Callaway scratched his head in frustration and furrowed his eyebrows as Castle waited for an answer. He knew he's never seen this man in his life. There was no way they've met unless... unless  the man who had Beckett was tied behind it somehow.

" This wasn't how I pictured telling you this, but Richard, I'm your father."

I'll have a much longer chapter out tomorrow. Maybe even TWO! And is it bothering anyone else that no one was murdered so far? Well it's sure bothering me...