Chapter Two

Castle picked Kate up around seven the next night. He could only suck in a breath at the sight of Kate in a red satin dress that hugged her curves perfectly while still leaving plenty to the imagination. She noted his reaction with a smirk,but silently told herself that was the only thing she wanted to achieve tonight: leave an impression. She wouldn't take things any further and corrupt their friendship.

You're lying to yourself.     

Kate's conscious started attacking her from the moment she said yes to Castle, and she had no clue how to turn it off. Her own mind was turning against her, following the wims of her heart. But Kate didn't want him.

No,shut up.

The whole way Kate tried to get Castle to spill the restaurant's name, but to no avail, he wanted to surprise her. It only took ten minutes to reach La Bella, the most exquisite restaurant in possibly all of New York.

Kate couldn't hide her astonishment. Even Richard Castle, New York Times Bestselling author must have pulled some serious strings to set up a reservation here. He saw her face as she peered out he her window at the dazzling glow of the shiny La Bella. When they pulled up to the front doors, Kate suddenly turned toward Castle in dismay.

"Why?," she exclaimed.

"Why what?"

"Why here? Why ... me?"

"Why not?"

Castle grinned and took her hand.

"You've been working late nights, busting your butt to keep Manhattan safe. I think that you need a break. Let me treat you."

Kate opened her mouth to protest. This was.. going overboard. Why did she even agree to this? She was drawing the line. Kate turned her head for a moment towards the glass doors and listened to the sweet melody drifting outside. Kate turned back around looking smack dab into Castle's eyes, softly shining with excitement, and smiled.

"Okay,"she said boldly.

"Okay?"

"Yeah."

They both smiled at each other like giddy teenagers out on their first date.