CHAPTER 12

***Kat's POV***

As the sun came up turning the sky from dark blue to light blue i came to the edge of the forest. There was a quiet little village not far from the edge, by the time i reached it i was exhausted. The sun was directly above in the sky so i was sweating. I walked up the high street in the village and collapsed outside a building, resting my back against the wall. I looked around noticing there was absolutely nonody about. That didn't seem right.

A few hours later i was shook awake. I opened my eyes and looked straight into the face of an 11 year old boy. He had a dirty face and dirty clothes. "Wake up miss the master's on his way!" he said frantically. I sat up and looked at my surroundings. I wasn't in the street anymore. I was in some kind of stone cellar with high wooden beams on the cieling. There were more people here other than me and the boy. They were all in the same state, dirty and wearing dirty clothes.

"Where am i? What happened to me?" i asked the boy. His big brown eyes kept glancing at the doorway at the top of the steps.

"Your in the basement of the slave catcher miss, you've been grabbed" he said. It took me a few seconds to process his words. That was when i realised we were all wearing shackles. I also realised my bag was gone. Fucking great.

"What do you mean slave catcher?!" i asked him a little alarmed.

"The slave catcher sells slaves to vampires and werewolves, even the occasional witch" he told me. He had beautiful brown eyes and dirty blonde hair. He was a cute little kid. Why was he here?

"Don't you have a mom?" i asked him.

"No miss her and my father died when i was young. I was brought here not long ago. None of the buyers want to buy me because im too young to do alot" he told me. He made my heart ache.

"Heyyyy shhh don't cry" i said as tears filled his eyes and leaked down his cheeks. I wiped them away as best as i could. "What's your name?" i asked.

"Luke" he sniffled. I smiled at him.

"Well Luke, i'm Kat" i told him. A few seconds later i heard a lock in the door. All of the whispers among the other people stopped. The door opened and a short, fat man with a beard and bald head walked down the stairs. "All right you lot up them stairs and make yourselves presentable! Your going to auction in 1 hour!" he yelled and gestured for us all to go upstairs. People inched around him and up the stairs through the door. I took Lukes hand and pulled him with me. When i reached the top of the stairs there were a bunch of women grabbing people and washing them, doing their hair and giving the women plain off white dresses to wear and the men plain off white trousers (no shirt). A woman around 30 grabbed me and another woman grabbed Luke, she made me take my clothes off and started to wash me with freezing cold water. I shivered and was about to complain but the look n her face made me think twice. She dried me off with a towel and stuck a dress over my head, and shoved me towards another woman who pushed me into a chair and dried my hair for me. Luke was sat in a chair next to me and was also having his hair dried. No matter how hard the lady tried to dry his hair flat it would stick up at the back and flop in his eyes at the front.

I had to keep myself from laughing at how frustrated she was getting. In the end she gave up. Luke and i were shoved into another room full of the people that were allready done while i assumed we were waiting for the others. There were at least 50 other people all together. Alot of the other kids had sat down.

"Hey someone tell a story!" one of the girls next to me said. None of the other kids said anything they all averted they eyes and pretended they didn't hear her. She looked a little sad.

"Hey Luke why won't they tell her a story?" i whispered.

He looked at me with a sad expression. "If the master catches you talking nonsence and telling stories you'll be punished" he whispered back. I nodded to show i understood.